HVAC help needed

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
Noticed the temp rising through the day indoors. Then noticed the thermometer said 87 indoors. AC interior fan was running, but warm air in the vents. Outside, the fan isn't running. I'm not sure if I'm low on refrigerant and the compressor isn't starting, or the compressor is dead. The outside turns freely by hand but also doesn't seem to run. System is connected to a Bryant Plus 80 furnace system.

Needing any idea where to test next.

rambrush

Open the panel and verify voltage on the incoming side of the contactor. Is the thermostat pulling in the contactor? voltage out the other side of the contactor? you may have a bad capacitor and most newer meters have the capability to verify. If the compressor is running but the condensor fan motor is not spinning a cap is a good first check as no fan the unit will overheat and go out on high overload..
But I imagine by now you have it figured out.

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
Got up later than I expected this morning. Heading out to check on things now. Fan motor spins freely, and doesn't start when pushing it with a long screwdriver. No ice built up on lines or in the condensor area. Heading out to check voltages and visuals.

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
Checked for a shorted compressor, no problem there. The caps all looked good and tested good (love my meters!). Contactor looked clean and moved freely, didn't seem to be a problem. New fuse, one at a time for now in case it blows... Up and running and cooling. Lightning activity night before last might have been the issue... But, watching regardless. Thanks guys!

rambrush

Glad to hear you got it up and going, Take it you ran a amp load on the compressor to verify no surprises there? Extra heat of course can create extra load so keep a eye on things and see how it goes.

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
I have a clamp on ammeter but the external wiring was in conduit, and the exposed wiring in the panel didn't have enough slack to get my clamp on it. Its still running and cooling today. I have a couple numbers for people to call thanks to the members here. I am watching to see if I have any freezing on the coils or any of the piping. Sort of paranoid, I keep checking that the fan is running.