I accidentally some buffalos

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
South west of Weaver resevoir out on the Ouray Reservation. It was worth it buying the day pass to fish on the res so I could go on that drive. The fishing was good but the drive was amazing!! Basically ~15 miles straight north of Crescent Junction as the crow flies.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Awesome, always wanted to do that! Getting into that Res is on my list of things to do. How much was the pass & where did you get it? Did you fish?! Hahaaa...

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Technically bison, since there are no buffalo in North America. Either way, that was rad!

well....

Name
The term "buffalo" is sometimes considered to be a misnomer for this animal, as it is only distantly related to either of the two "true buffalo", the Asian water buffalo and the African buffalo. However, "bison" is a Greek word meaning ox-like animal, while "buffalo" originated with the French fur trappers who called these massive beasts bœufs, meaning ox or bullock—so both names, "bison" and "buffalo", have a similar meaning. Though the name "Bison" might be considered to be more scientifically correct[by whom?], as a result of standard usage the name "Buffalo" is also considered correct and is listed in many dictionaries as an acceptable name for American Buffalo or bison. In reference to this animal, the term "buffalo", dates to 1625 in North American usage when the term was first recorded for the American mammal. It thus has a much longer history than the term "bison", which was first recorded in 1774.[14] The American bison is very closely related to the wisent or European bison

DAA

Supporting Member
Very cool! And what Greg said - something I've had on my list for a long, long time, but never found the time to do.

Good on ya!

- DAA

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Awesome, always wanted to do that! Getting into that Res is on my list of things to do. How much was the pass & where did you get it? Did you fish?! Hahaaa...

I want to hear about the fishing.

Very cool! And what Greg said - something I've had on my list for a long, long time, but never found the time to do.

Good on ya!

- DAA

We actually did fish and the fishing was pretty good. I hadn't wet a line since the late 90's but it came back to me pretty quick. Our first stop was the Ute Plaza Market in Fort Duchesne for the day pass to go fishing on the res. I think it was 10$.

http://www.uitfwd.com/Permit.htm

http://www.uitfwd.com/Doc/Fish-Permit-Application.htm

http://www.uitfwd.com/Doc/2013FishingProc.pdf

On page 18 of the proclamation they define Motorcycles as ATVs so you might want to chat with tribal police and see if they define road legal motorcycles as ATVs.

The fishing was pretty good. According to my buddy that is the avid fisherman the reservoirs are so far away from civilization that they don't get fished a lot so catching your limit is pretty easy. We were using lures on Towave and fly/bobber on Weaver. We both had good polarized glasses so it was fun to watch the fish follow the lures into shore just to check them out so having a wide selection of lures is a good idea because it can get frustrating to watch fish follow your lures for an hour:rofl:

We have spent a lot of time working and recreating on the reservation over the years and unfortunately there is not a lot of room in the rules for exploring. If you get into the fine print you will find that they are pretty specific about things and have been known to throw some 10,000$+ fines at people for not following the rules. If you do roll onto their land with an ATV they seize it. If you bring a gun or booze onto their land they will throw the book at you. The idea that they are essentially a sovereign nation means that they have a lot of power in their jurisdiction and they aren't afraid to use it. I have gotten out of a ticket by being honest, respectful, and cooperative. I think they get a lot of racial slurs thrown their way by redneck idiots so if you have a problem with authority + the Native American situation, then probably steer clear of the res lol.