I hate Craigslist Lowballers...

Coco

Sold a KTM 65 this week. Dude pulls up in a brand new dually with a 40 ft 5th wheel toy hauler and 3 mini bikes for his kid that races (50cc, 65cc and a backup 65cc) brags about replacing them at 50 hours. Then commences to lowball me like 10 times about $200. You can't brag about how baller you are and then be a dick over 5% discount. People are funny.
...So, did you take his lowball? :D

Coco

Nope. I told him my lowest price and he kept pushing, like 8 or 9 times after I said no. I was starting to lose my patience. I had it priced very fair and could have sold it in a week or two so I wasn't going to budge. His attitude cemented my price.
That's the spirit! Sometimes peoples attitudes make it soooo much easier to say no and watch them get pissed as they head home empty handed.

4x4_Welder

It takes a lot of debt to look like you have money.

I've been trying to sell my old Cornwell tool box, and so far have had two people who want it right now, then ghost me. If I had space, I'd just keep it as a garage box. It's too tall to put my lathe on, though, and I don't even have the space to walk around my Courier right now.

SnwMnkys

I always make sure when I reply to adds I so not use the generic reply that KSL or Facebook use.

I get these all the time and dont understand why. I can understand if someone fat fingers their phone screen and accidently sends it but you have to hit so many buttons to accidently send this text that its damn near impossible.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I had a guy come look at my trailer for sale the other day.
(my ad reads "6'x12' heavy duty dual axle trailer)
First thing he says <"This is 12' ft right? I'm a scrapper so I get paid by the load"
*Spends 10 minutes crawling over the thing*
"I think I need a longer trailer, like at least 16ft and how long is this?"
*he gets out tape measure*
"yeah it's only 12ft"
*doesn't buy it... drives away in Isuzu suv with temp handicap placard*
ok.

When he said he was a scrapper I knew he was going to waste my time.
I guess he plans to pull this hypothetical 16'+ trailer full of scrap with an old Isuzu Trooper. Sketch.

Coco

This was a first for me. Had a couple come look at our SXS on Saturday. Were there about 30-45 mins total. Both seemed really excited about it, threw me an offer before even driving it. I told him take it for a drive, then come back and we can discuss that. They get back, both have big smiles on their faces, and gives me an offer. I accepted it. Told them we can meet at the bank on Monday to finalize everything. I asked if he wanted to give me a deposit to hold it for him, and I would pull the ads and everything for him, and thus turn away potential buyers. He agreed and venmo'd my wife $500.

He was saying he went to a dealer and was going to buy a Pro R, but they wanted $55K for it with an additional roof and windshield. He had also mentioned his step father had recently passed, so he and his wife were living in a couple different places, so wanted to get this and a motorhome to do stuff together and meet in the middle (the motorhome they were looking at was $100K). They had also mentioned they just got back from HI, bought 45 acres in Nevada, etc. I'm thinking wow, this is a done deal.

I sent him a message last night asking what branch worked best to meet at, as he was out of town and I wanted to make it as easy for him as possible. I also wanted to see if he wanted me to haul it up to him, or come by after everything was finalized to pick it up - never heard from him. Well this morning he sends me a message saying he is going to hold off on it, they are going to buy some rental property instead... I simply replied back sorry to hear that, but wish you guys the best! No, he will not be getting his deposit back.

I have never had someone give me a deposit, and back out. Same with me giving a deposit, I have never backed out of a sale, knowing I would also be losing said deposit.... I guess he just has more money than he knows what to do with, but I was honestly surprised when I saw that message this morning.

Last edited:

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
This was a first for me. Had a couple come look at our SXS on Saturday. was there about 30-45 mins total. Both seemed really excited about it, threw me an offer before even driving it. I told him take it for a drive, then come back and we can discuss that. They get back, both have big smiles on their faces, and gives me an offer. I accepted it. Told them we can meet at the bank on Monday to finalize everything. I asked if he wanted to give me a deposit to hold it for him, and I would pull the ads and everything for him, and thus turn away potential buyers. He agreed and venmo'd my wife $500.

He was saying he went to a dealer and was going to buy a Pro R, but they wanted $55K for it with an additional roof and windshield. He had also mentioned his step father had recently passed, so he and his wife were living in a couple different places, so wanted to get this and a motorhome to do stuff together and meet in the middle (the motorhome they were looking at was $100K). They had also mentioned they just got back from HI, bought 45 acres in Nevada, etc. I'm thinking wow, this is a done deal.

I sent him a message last night asking what branch worked best to meet at, as he was out of town and I wanted to make it as easy for him as possible. I also wanted to see if he wanted me to haul it up to him, or come by after everything was finalized to pick it up - never heard from him. Well this morning he sends me a message saying he is going to hold off on it, they are going to buy some rental property instead... I simply replied back sorry to hear that, but wish you guys the best! No, he will not be getting his deposit back.

I have never had someone give me a deposit, and back out. Same with me giving a deposit, I have never backed out of a sale, knowing I would also be losing said deposit.... I guess he just has more money than he knows what to do with, but I was honestly surprised when I saw that message this morning.

I had a renter pay a deposit and first month rent once. They moved a few things in, and then disappeared with an couple days. Straight ghosted me. I tried over and over to give them some money back, never a word from them.

Evolved

Less-Known Member
This was a first for me. Had a couple come look at our SXS on Saturday. Were there about 30-45 mins total. Both seemed really excited about it, threw me an offer before even driving it. I told him take it for a drive, then come back and we can discuss that. They get back, both have big smiles on their faces, and gives me an offer. I accepted it. Told them we can meet at the bank on Monday to finalize everything. I asked if he wanted to give me a deposit to hold it for him, and I would pull the ads and everything for him, and thus turn away potential buyers. He agreed and venmo'd my wife $500.

Last Fall when I sold my buggy, this happened. Posted on RCFS among other online sites and the guy messaged me through RCFS. He’s from Oregon and is super interested (like after I gave him my number I got a text almost immediately). I suggest we FaceTime since we are states away from each other. We FaceTime for about 20 minutes and the whole time he keeps saying he’s in. End of the call he says he’s in for sure and a few days later I get 5 one thousand dollar Western Union checks in the mail. Long story short, after like 2 months of excuses he tells me he’s out.

I debated so hard on what to do with his money. In the end, I decided to keep a portion for wasting 2 months of my time and then took anything below what our agreed price vs the actual sell price to the new owners was. He ended up getting about half back.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Last Fall when I sold my buggy, this happened. Posted on RCFS among other online sites and the guy messaged me through RCFS. He’s from Oregon and is super interested (like after I gave him my number I got a text almost immediately). I suggest we FaceTime since we are states away from each other. We FaceTime for about 20 minutes and the whole time he keeps saying he’s in. End of the call he says he’s in for sure and a few days later I get 5 one thousand dollar Western Union checks in the mail. Long story short, after like 2 months of excuses he tells me he’s out.

I debated so hard on what to do with his money. In the end, I decided to keep a portion for wasting 2 months of my time and then took anything below what our agreed price vs the actual sell price to the new owners was. He ended up getting about half back.
You should’ve told me, I’d take half for being the ad facilitator 🤣

I kid.

Coco

It is definitely frustrating! Especially when you are pulling the ads, and essentially losing buyers. That is definitely a bigger chunk of change versus $500, and definitely being a dilemma.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
What's with guys asking for a specific vehicle history report? It's a scam right? They get some kind of kickback when I buy the report they asked for?