I hate old houses!

airmanwilliams

My first home repair couldn't be more inconvenient! Bathroom sink was clogged so I tried to VERY lightly, because its old, to undo the connections on the elbo underneath to clear the clog, starting with that connection on that long part, and the whole thing snapped off the sink and off the rear section. Talk about BRITTLE. Now I need to find some way to undo the section in the wall to replace and go find a sink that will go with the bathroom. UGH!

airmanwilliams

That's crap-tastic. However, I'm impressed you know how to do that sort of repair.

haha I dont know. I never really did any sort of repairs on anything growing up with my father since he got tired of questions and got frustrated easily. Hope I can figure out how to get that pipe out of the wall to replace, really dont want to make a larger hole in the wall to get that out.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Hmm I think those thread in behind the wall but I can't remember.

After watching my parents my whole life and now my younger brother work on their older homes (parents built in 1901) I think I can guide you through this without too much trouble:

1. Attempt to remove pipe from wall. It will likely break the main plumbing behind the wall.
2. Remove tile around broken pipe and attempt to gain a little more access to it.
3. Pull down all the tile because you weren't able to remove just a small section without destroying everything.
4. Go to Lowes* and buy new stylish tile, plumbing hardware, stylish new sink, stylish new flooring, stylish new vanity, tub (because you have the bathroom ripped apart anyway and old tubs are too small to fit in)
5. Knock a wall down to make room for your new tub.
6. Go back to Lowes and buy sheet rock (because you find lath and plaster is impossible to work with) and electrical misc (outlets, wire etc.) because you realize older bathrooms don't have nearly enough outlets when you have a Chi, hairdryer, curling iron etc all needing to be plugged in at the same time.
7. Go back to Lowes for plywood because you find out your floor isn't level.
8. Go back to Lowes and buy a shower head and plumbing hardware because you've always wanted a shower head that is actually above your head.
9. Pull the ceiling down because you have always wanted a vent fan.
10. Go back to Lowes for more sheet rock and a ceiling fan.

*Home Depot is an option as well.

Once you've completed step ten report back and I'll provide you with the next ten steps. There will be about 1000 steps total :D

airmanwilliams

After watching my parents my whole life and now my younger brother work on their older homes (parents built in 1901) I think I can guide you through this without too much trouble:

1. Attempt to remove pipe from wall. It will likely break the main plumbing behind the wall.
2. Remove tile around broken pipe and attempt to gain a little more access to it.
3. Pull down all the tile because you weren't able to remove just a small section without destroying everything.
4. Go to Lowes* and buy new stylish tile, plumbing hardware, stylish new sink, stylish new flooring, stylish new vanity, tub (because you have the bathroom ripped apart anyway and old tubs are too small to fit in)
6. Go back to Lowes and buy sheet rock (because you find lath and plaster is impossible to work with) and electrical misc (outlets, wire etc.) because you realize older bathrooms don't have nearly enough outlets when you have a Chi, hairdryer, curling iron etc all needing to be plugged in at the same time.
8. Go back to Lowes and buy a shower head and plumbing hardware because you've always wanted a shower head that is actually above your head.

Once you've completed step ten report back and I'll provide you with the next ten steps. There will be about 1000 steps total :D

Wow I feel so much better about this thanks haha. Funny you mention the shower head because its just perfect for me but my wife says its a midgets bathroom and she hates that the shower head isnt tall enough for her. Good thing we have a spare bathroom in the basement so I can take time to save up to replace this darn sink with a vanity to cover the large hole I will likely have to make to undo that pipe in the wall.

I wish there was some sort of socket I could use to go around that connection in the wall like an oxygen sensor socket only bigger.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator

I bought a new house and dont regret it for one second.....But by this handy step by step bathroom remodel instructions I can come to the conclusion that remodeling a bathroom is very very similar to building a wheeling rig

airmanwilliams

Any access to the back side of the plumbing?

The sink screen/drain may be able to be fixed. There's generic parts that may work.

No access from behind but I think since we have no money haha that I may just try to push that center part out of the sink and measure it for a replacement, new piping below the sink and get a new slip nut for that back piping since thats what broke back there. I thought that there were some threads that broke in the back but it was just a nut that slipped over that pipe in the back so as ugly as this 60+ year old sink is I think I will stick with it until I am no longer earning minimum wage or can trade something for a vanity hehe.

airmanwilliams

I think since we have no money haha that I may just try to push that center part out of the sink and measure it for a replacement, new piping below the sink and get a new slip nut for that back piping since thats what broke back there. I thought that there were some threads that broke in the back but it was just a nut that slipped over that pipe in the back so as ugly as this 60+ year old sink is I think I will stick with it until I am no longer earning minimum wage or can trade something for a vanity hehe.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
That's really only a $10 fix, and could be done in a half hour. They have all the plastic replacement parts at Home Depot. Is there still a nut on the piece of pipe coming out of the wall where it connects to the P-trap? I can't tell on my phone.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
That's really only a $10 fix, and could be done in a half hour. They have all the plastic replacement parts at Home Depot. Is there still a nut on the piece of pipe coming out of the wall where it connects to the P-trap? I can't tell on my phone.

^This^ It's really that easy. If Mr Williams still lived up here I would cruise on over and help, but now that he lives down in "the county" and is probably cheering for the "other team" it makes things complicated. But seriously, we remodeled our bathroom over Memorial weekend and all of that piping goes together like a puzzle, go in to Home Depot with pictures and measurements and they will know what you need.

mombobuggy

Without the j trap you may have sewer gas and spiders coming inside the house. You may want to plug the pipe for now. Tape or a rag should do .

airmanwilliams

Do you own the house?

Nope not ours yet, belongs to wifes father and his sister.

Wife decided to jump the gun and replace things even though it didnt need to all come out. Everything is hooked up but had to extend a couple water lines and get a pipe to connect the trap to the sink(alittle long and so I need to trim it tomorrow once I get a saw to cut it an inch or so shorter. Once the pipe is cut alittle shorter I will be able to straighten it more and push it against the wall( right now the pipe I had to add for a spacer between the sink drain and the trap is too long and so everything is tilted).

Here is a before and after.