I have a small concrete project I'd love to complete...

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Years ago, I had an RV pad poured next to my house. I have been very happy with the results ever since. However, I am kicking myself because there is one small strip that I should have had them include at the same time... but I did not. I'd love to finally make up for that error.

This is a very small project (IMO). You know how there is a 4' wide strip of grass between your sidewalk and the curb? It's a 14-foot-long section of that. This is not an area where I would ever park a vehicle, though I'm sure it would occasionally get driven on as I am pulling in or out with my trailer (which parks on the RV pad, which is directly behind this small strip). I feel like this would be easy enough if somebody I knew had one of those portable cement mixer thingies, though I admit I have not ever actually mixed or poured any cement in my life... so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

Do any of you guys have experience with this sort of thing? Or would you know somebody I should talk to about it?

gatchmo5710

I do all my own pouring at my house. Though im not an expert by any means. Sounds like a cake walk. What question specifically are you trying to ask?

I wouldn't mix it on site. Get a tow behind unit that can hold a yard or 2. Pour it in one or two sections if doing by yourself. Matching the lines adjacent. Go 6-8 inches, with no rebar.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
I used a place just off State Street in Murray. I picked it up at the end of the guys shift and he helped me pour and set it. Tipped him $50 and he said thanks.

1. aau-cartconcrete.com

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
What question specifically are you trying to ask?

Umm, if somebody with personal experience wants to do this with me. ;)

I wouldn't mix it on site. Get a tow behind unit that can hold a yard or 2.

That sounds great--I didn't even know that was an option. The web site Jack posted has a concrete calculator. At 14x4 and 8" deep, I'd need 1.4 cubic yards total (which I didn't know until now).

Like I say, I am completely clueless here... which is why I'm looking for assistance rather than blindly jumping in and trying to do it by myself.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
8" deep :confused: I think most sidewalks are closer to 3-4" I would fill it with gravel until you have about 4" for cement. at 4" you're probably less than a yard.

I used to help do concrete on the farm, lots of cattle areas, and some floors in buildings. the Cows don't really care what it looks like and rougher is better for them not to slip. Most of the time we formed it up and then used a 2x4 to saw back and forth across the top to get it level then finish off with a float. Typically 3 people to run the board, 2 to push/pull and one to shovel cement into the low spots and pull from the high spots.

If you need a hand let me know, that much cement you could probably knock it out in under an hour if you had one of the trailers like Jack linked.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
4" is standard around here. At Ucart you can buy it by the 1/4 yard, so measure well and you won't have to deal with a bunch of leftovers. I don't have the time right now to help, but I have all the tools you would need.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
8" deep :confused: I think most sidewalks are closer to 3-4" I would fill it with gravel until you have about 4" for cement. at 4" you're probably less than a yard.

I have no idea how thick sidewalks are. But at only 4" deep, the calculator estimates I'd only need .70 cubic yard.

If you need a hand let me know, that much cement you could probably knock it out in under an hour if you had one of the trailers like Jack linked.

Perhaps I'll start by using my brother-in-law's rototiller to break up the surface dirt, and shovel it out until it is maybe 6" deep. Then I'll lay down a small layer of fill gravel. When I get to that point, I'll let you know. ;)

Pile of parts

I used U-cart that Jack mentioned for a project I did a year ago. You can order by the 1/4 yard. It was about $20 more than buying by the bag, total (if you have your own mixer) and much cheaper than if you had to rent one. Plus, no mixing.

Now, I have a big concrete project I'd like to knock out. Need footings and foundation for a 32'x40' shop. Any suggestions? I've looked into renting the forms because with construction booming, not many are responding and those that have are considerably higher than I've budgeted for.

Sorry to hi-jack this thread.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Just a thought, but some cities have requirements/codes regarding park strips and what you can/can't do with them. It might be worth some internet research or a phone call before filling it in. It would be a lot easier than dealing with a nasty fine or having to chip it out later.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
Just a thought, but some cities have requirements/codes regarding park strips and what you can/can't do with them. It might be worth some internet research or a phone call before filling it in. It would be a lot easier than dealing with a nasty fine or having to chip it out later.

That's no way to live life. Just go for it! YOLO

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
most people don't know it but the area between the sidewalk and the road is a right of way owned by the city. This is why comcast always puts there cable out front in that area. Like was mentioned find out if you are allowed before pouring.
My old boss use to get his concrete from a place in sandy that was on 9500 s and 500 w. They have a few of the tow behind mixers that you pull in they hook it up and you drive off. once you are done you drive back and they disconnect and clean the mixer for you. Now that was 4 yrs ago I haven't been in that area for awhile they could be out of business.

gatchmo5710

The OP mentioned he has a rv next to it. Which means if it roll across it would crack immediately. I understand the 4 inch is standard for side walks. But lets be honest, you'll end up paying a extra 50 bucks for more crete to do it right....

Here in st George the concrete taxi is cheaper than mixing yourself so its a no brainer. Wish I was close and I would be happy to show you the ropes.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Just a thought, but some cities have requirements/codes regarding park strips and what you can/can't do with them.

Like was mentioned find out if you are allowed before pouring.

Well, the two houses directly across from me did this exact same thing a couple years ago on their respective properties... so I'd say I'm in the clear.

The OP mentioned he has a rv next to it.

I have an RV pad. I don't own an RV. The pad primarily serves as a parking spot for my trailer, though I sometimes will also park another vehicle in front of the trailer. The heaviest thing that might roll across this concrete strip would be my 8.1L Suburban.

Bart

Let me know when you're going to pour and I'll come help if I'm free. I have some cement tools. I'd do the UCart thing in 2 or 3 pours. Have it so you set bulk head and maybe add a piece of rebar to help with the cold joints.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I just poured 31 yards of concrete for my back patio and and RV PAD and learned alot during the process. There is no such thing as overkill when it comes to the longevity of a concrete slab. I would use rebar and tie into everything that surrounds it. I would also use a fibermesh concrete. It was about 10 dollars a yard more than the normal 4000psi mix that is used for most exterior pours. My sidewalks are 6" thick and I am pretty sure that is normal in all newer home construction. We poured our patio and RV pad 4" thick and did rebar on 2' centers throughout the entire slab and doweled it into the foundation of the house