I have GOT to finish this Miata project

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
A new co-worker was asking me about my Miata project. I explained its partially-completed state, and then that progress has ground to a halt. He asked how long it has been. "A couple of years," I initially replied. But then I decided to check and see exactly how long it has been. Sadness: nearly to the day, it has been five years since I dropped it off at my friend's shop. :(

That's it. This thing has to become a priority and I must get it done this summer come hell or high water. First things first, I stopped by to chat with my friend and let him know of my newfound eagerness. This gave me another chance to at least see my poor car, sitting right where it has for so long:

11209611_732558040176175_990450728254370148_n.jpg

So I kept going by every two or three days to demonstrate my seriousness about finding time for it. I've made it very clear I will do all I can to fit shop visits into my schedule so I can assist with the operation. On the plus side, he is also eager to make progress (if for no other reason than to get it out of his way).

So you'll all understand how pleasantly surprised I was when I stopped by his shop on my way to work today and I saw that my baby was now on one of his lifts:

11188262_732549696843676_8052650472521183620_n.jpg

First item of business: finish modification of the lower control arms (we had to relocate the bottom shock mounts to clear the bigger CV axles) and reinstall them. After that, we'll just tighten down all the bolts and the rear end is done.

11217803_732549700177009_3286653340257336430_n.jpg

After that, we'll move to locating the engine and welding engine mounts to the subframe.

:)

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Good observations. That would make sense. 8.8 irs...must be some sweet power coming to that Miata

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
If that intake valley cover in the first pick is for the Miata, I'm guessing a V8.

That isn't my engine you saw in that photo--mine is wrapped in plastic on an engine stand in the back room--but your intuition is still spot on.

Also that diff looks like an 8.8.

Good eye.

I think it's a 5.0L Mustang motor?

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner.

Going in is a rebuilt 1991 Mustang 5.0L V8. It was bored .030 over for 306 cubic inches. I installed lightweight forged pistons in an attempt to aid the 'revability' of the engine; the machinist commented that they were very light pistons as he had to take a lot of weight out of the crankshaft. I was going to use the stock cam and just install 1.6 roller rockers for more lift and duration, but during the teardown I saw a lot of wear on the cam... so in went a Ford Racing E303 cam instead. Now I'll just stick to the stock rocker arms. I had the stock heads cleaned and rebuilt, and I'll use them to get everything together and running. Down the road, I'd like to upgrade to AFR 165s... or maybe a Magnacharger. Who knows--it's been so long, now I just want the thing to run.

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
I've put a fair amount of thought into how to stay motivated since I feel like I'm never finishing my projects. I think the most important thing is to have a clear, detailed plan of the steps required to reach your end goal; not just the end goal.

Set a goal that is independent of your interest in the project itself and you will achieve it, even if you lose interest in the project again.
Then just break the tasks up and take it one day at a time so it's not overwhelming; that's what usually causes you to lose interest a couple weeks in. If the daily goal is to check 1 thing off the list, regardless of what that thing is or what the project is, then you'll feel accomplished at the end of the day even if when there's a ton of work left to do... basically make any given task a game or exercise in self control and how see how good/fast/efficiently/etc you can do it. When I get in this mindset its staggering how much I can get done, and it's very satisfying.

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I've put a fair amount of thought into how to stay motivated since I feel like I'm never finishing my projects. I think the most important thing is to have a clear, detailed plan of the steps required to reach your end goal; not just the end goal.

Set a goal that is independent of your interest in the project itself and you will achieve it, even if you lose interest in the project again.
Then just break the tasks up and take it one day at a time so it's not overwhelming; that's what usually causes you to lose interest a couple weeks in. If the daily goal is to check 1 thing off the list, regardless of what that thing is or what the project is, then you'll feel accomplished at the end of the day even if when there's a ton of work left to do... basically make any given task a game or exercise in self control and how see how good/fast/efficiently/etc you can do it. When I get in this mindset its staggering how much I can get done, and it's very satisfying.

That's good advice, Mike. That's generally the way I ever make any progress on anything, and when I fail to make headway, it's because I lost perspective and got overwhelmed by the big picture. ADD is a bitch.

Also, I want that Miata.

Also, I want that shop.