I is smart

natius

Kill cookies! Make'm pay
I replaced the front pads and rotars on my 2000 tj and when i put it all back together, it would not roll. Not one inch. I like when the brakes work super good, but i would prefer that they didnt work when i wasnt asking them to. No joke, I put it in reverse and it just flexed back, no rolly rolly. What gives? Do i need to bleed 'em? In medeival times, there was nothing that a good bleeding couldn't fix. I am stumped, and now my sweet jeep is confined to my garage.

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
natius said:
I replaced the front pads and rotars on my 2000 tj and when i put it all back together, it would not roll. Not one inch. I like when the brakes work super good, but i would prefer that they didnt work when i wasnt asking them to. No joke, I put it in reverse and it just flexed back, no rolly rolly. What gives? Do i need to bleed 'em? In medeival times, there was nothing that a good bleeding couldn't fix. I am stumped, and now my sweet jeep is confined to my garage.

Sounds like your distributor is 180 degrees out...

:rofl:

hammerhead

Junkyard Dog
Open your bleeder to see if there is pressure in the lines. Also take the top off of your reservoir to see if it is overfilled by the displaced fluid from the compression of the caliper piston.

S

sukaB

Coreshot said:
Sounds like your distributor is 180 degrees out...

Ohh been there done that son....... ;)
I Once replaced a roll cage bushing that was making noise
(no grease I found out), of course that was tied into my exo,
(Locally built,):eek: cage, and then that caused my muffler to fall off??? :eek: WTF :ugh: Then Andy had to build me another sponsored driveline.....This sport is expensive.... :-\

:rofl:

Medsker

2024 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 392
The 2000 and 2001 TJ's had some funky designs going on with their rotors and it makes a big difference if you have composite or not. One rotor has a rounded edge on the hat and the other does not, I can't remember off the top of me head which is which. If you get the wrong one it will bolt together but is under enough force that the front brakes are locked. My guess is that is what happened.

Medsker

natius

Kill cookies! Make'm pay
Medsker said:
The 2000 and 2001 TJ's had some funky designs going on with their rotors and it makes a big difference if you have composite or not. One rotor has a rounded edge on the hat and the other does not, I can't remember off the top of me head which is which. If you get the wrong one it will bolt together but is under enough force that the front brakes are locked. My guess is that is what happened.

Medsker

I think it might have been what you said. To the naked eye, the rotors I got at the friendly local auto zone, looked identical to the ones i was fixing to replace. Not until after my jeep became immobilized did I realize that the axle spun freely when the lugs were not tightened down, but when they were snug that baby was tight as a sphinxter. So i measured the rotors using a sophisticated measuring tool. . . . my pinky, and determined that the new and shiny rotars were a skivvy deeper than the barnacle encrusted originals. This was undoubtedly causing the rotor to bind on the rest of the shiz when the lugs were tight. So I did what any good Christian would do. I took the old rotors down to the local overpriced mechanic establishment, and had them turned like a man. Problem solved.

chevtech

Seasoned Mall Cruiser
natius said:
I think it might have been what you said. To the naked eye, the rotors I got at the friendly local auto zone, looked identical to the ones i was fixing to replace. Not until after my jeep became immobilized did I realize that the axle spun freely when the lugs were not tightened down, but when they were snug that baby was tight as a sphinxter. So i measured the rotors using a sophisticated measuring tool. . . . my pinky, and determined that the new and shiny rotars were a skivvy deeper than the barnacle encrusted originals. This was undoubtedly causing the rotor to bind on the rest of the shiz when the lugs were tight. So I did what any good Christian would do. I took the old rotors down to the local overpriced mechanic establishment, and had them turned like a man. Problem solved.

Actually you just had the wrong rotors......

There are two different hat depths they gave you the wrong one.....

:)

natius

Kill cookies! Make'm pay
Yes, uh, thats what I meant. There is a 3 1/16 and a 3 3/16. I needed the 3 1/16 and they sold me the 3 3/16 (cause it was the one they had in stock). The one I needed proved to be much less common and much more expensive, which is why I just took the original rotors and machined them, even though there is little left. I thought that the fact that I had purchased the wrong rotors was already well established. I think I'm just gonna dive into traffic now. But good additional insight. . . . :) :eek: :rofl: :rofl: