I like the way this guy thinks

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
I think he is part of the Utah Snowmobile Association. They would be a good group to work with for land use, I am sure they share some of the same issues.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
rusted said:
I think he is part of the Utah Snowmobile Association. They would be a good group to work with for land use, I am sure they share some of the same issues.

I have always scratched my head when it came to persecution of snowmobilers. They have to be the lowest impact motorized vehicles. Call me crazy but how do you ride someone's ass about the impact their recreational vehicle makes on the environment when the SOB rides on a buffer zone of snow? They probably hit trees...I know this is not a desireable activity while sledding but I am sure it happens. They may trigger avalanches (keyword trigger...not cause) but avalanches are just waiting for an excuse anyway. It occurs to me that they are at times loud but snow is a great sound absorbtion medium. They dont expel their exhaust gasses into the snow, rather the atmosphere like everything BUT boats and PWCs.

Someone explain to me why sledders catch so much flack!!??

Medsker

2024 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 392
spencurai said:
I have always scratched my head when it came to persecution of snowmobilers. They have to be the lowest impact motorized vehicles. Call me crazy but how do you ride someone's ass about the impact their recreational vehicle makes on the environment when the SOB rides on a buffer zone of snow? They probably hit trees...I know this is not a desireable activity while sledding but I am sure it happens. They may trigger avalanches (keyword trigger...not cause) but avalanches are just waiting for an excuse anyway. It occurs to me that they are at times loud but snow is a great sound absorbtion medium. They dont expel their exhaust gasses into the snow, rather the atmosphere like everything BUT boats and PWCs.

Someone explain to me why sledders catch so much flack!!??

We drive by cross country skiers who are members of suwa who don't want anyone within miles of them. Also a friend of a friends pet pelicans dentist once saw a snowmobile chase an innocent deer, and deer when they get chased by a snowmobile get so scared they never stop running until they get so exhausted they fall over dead. Now I personally have been riding for over thirty years, I've slowed down for all cross country skiers, I always wave friendly, about half wave back. I have spooked deer before, never chased any, they've always ran out of safety and stopped, so I'm not sure what they mean. I've never been in an avalanche and I've never seen one, just a couple that had already come down. I pay my taxes on my snowmobiles which only about 20% actually go to snowmobiling the rest go to maintaining parks in the summer and everything else like that. Which in turn means the funding for grooming trails runs out early and they just say "Oh well". We pay $5 just to park because the state won't even plow our parking lot, we have to hire it done. And as for emissions most snowmobiles already meet 2012 standards and those coaches they take into Yellowstone...yea they produce six times the emissions as the same number of snowmobiles going in.

Sorry sore subject for me. Rant off.

Medsker

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
rusted said:

Usa-All works with all types of users to coordinate and keep trails open :D

Capt. Picky

quite
It isn't actually a new or revelatory epiphany, but has in fact been 'uncovered' and discussed quite a number of years ago.

The basic idea stems from the fact that there were several groups of environmentalists (SUWA, UWC, UWA, etc.) who had their own ideas as to which areas had which values and why they thought they should/should not (rare) be included in the WSA inventory. The BLM had published *several* Proposed Drafts (usually comprising several volumes of some few hundred pages each) encompassing revised plans and so-forth.

As of the more recent years, newer reviews and revisions were made to include other latter concepts which extended beyond the confines of the relatively strict definitions of a WSA. As but one example, areas such as the Labyrinth Rim(s) would be one such 'recent' proposal as an area to be given a particular form of protected status.
Basically, I would question any inclusion which stemmed beyond those initially inventoried - and would even question *some* of the claims of 'criteria met' which were among the first to be selected as WSA's for such ultimate WA's. (If finally approved.)

Capt. Picky

utahmike

Lobbyist \ Consultant
This was a LTE not a column. I wish we had a column like this. Doug is the past president of the Utah Snowmobile Association. I have meet w/ him on a number of issues, and he is a very good guy. Yes we work closley w/ all user groups, this is one I am trying to do a btter job with. And the concept, as EZ points out, is one that has been around a while and is discussed alot.