I Need Flex!!!!

Nagrom

Im trin to find a cheap way to gain som flex and was told removing my sway bars from front and rear would add about 4". But I drive my XJ around town as well so was'nt sure if just removing them was the answer. So I was thinkin I'll remove the rear and do some kind of quick disconnect for the front. I found these http://www.jksmfg.com/quicker_disconnectsTJ_XJ_ZJ.htm but would rather spend less and buy them locally. Anyway does anyone have any alternatives?

By the looks of your avatar your cherokee is stock or pretty much close to it. Yank that rear bar off completely, you probably won't even notice it's gone. You can cut the retaining straps off your rear springs, that will allow them to separate a little more when drooping. With smaller tires you can romove your front bump stops, I'm not sure this is the best idea but I haven't ever had them on mine and I have 33's without a prob (just a little triming).
If you want something cheaper you can get almost the exact same disconnect from Tera, just run by Mepco and pick them up. Not sure what they run but I know it's as much as the JKS ones.
If there's anything done to your jeep let us know and we might be able to point a few things out to you to help you flex a little better.

Nagrom

crimsonride said:
By the looks of your avatar your cherokee is stock or pretty much close to it. Yank that rear bar off completely, you probably won't even notice it's gone. You can cut the retaining straps off your rear springs, that will allow them to separate a little more when drooping. With smaller tires you can romove your front bump stops, I'm not sure this is the best idea but I haven't ever had them on mine and I have 33's without a prob (just a little triming).
If you want something cheaper you can get almost the exact same disconnect from Tera, just run by Mepco and pick them up. Not sure what they run but I know it's as much as the JKS ones.
If there's anything done to your jeep let us know and we might be able to point a few things out to you to help you flex a little better.
Im competely stock w/ the exception of slightly larger tires and the rims off my grand cherokee. My bump stops are already gone from when one fell out and wedged itself between my coil spring so I removed the other. What retaining straps r u talking about? Sorry for my ignorance but I'm trin to learn :D . I plan on trimming my wheel wells but w/ a 4 door thiers not a lot of room to trim out the rear. But this thing is going to be ready for moab next spring no matter what! -_-

mesha

By endurance we conquer
[. What retaining straps r u talking about? Sorry for my ignorance but I'm trin to learn :D . I plan on trimming my wheel wells but w/ a 4 door thiers not a lot of room to trim out the rear. But this thing is going to be ready for moab next spring no matter what! -_-[/QUOTE]

The little metal straps that hold your leaf springs together. Not a lot of room to trim, but enough. Your shackles are in the rear so the axle will flex backwards so you don't need to trim much from the part under the door. Get some cutoff wheels and get to hackin'

RockinSami

Been to the Rubicon
Flex

Im not an XJ guy and im not sure about rear straps, but on your rear leaf springs there should be a couple of retainers, usally second or third leaf up that you can either remove a bolt or bend up a tab to gain some flex. Also there is a budget lift offered by RRO that gives 2" of lift for about 120 bucks but you might need bump stops up front for the coil spacer.

Nagrom

I'll check in to em when I'm changing my brakes this weekend (If it's not raining) and I'll definately remove my rear sway bar. Someone should invent some magical rock crawling powder you can sprinkle on your rig and presto... Instant rock crawler :D Anyway thanks for the assistance.

JoeT

Put disco's in the front, lose the rear swaybar.Ummm.... I so would not remove the front. It's fine until some idiot cuts you off and you swerve real hard. :eek: Brown pants moment here. If you need any RE stuff,PM me.

iceaxe

Backroad Adventurer
I don't recomend teraflex quick disconnects until you've got plus 3 inches of lift up front (they say minimum 3" but I happen to know it's a pretty good minimum to go by) :cool:

It takes about the same time to mess with those things as it does to back off the top nut on the anti swaybar links, so as an alternative you could do the home made quick disco mod for the bottom of the link, reminds me I've got some hardware for that mod that I never used...

fattodog

frame cracks= More flex!!
Nagrom said:
I'll check in to em when I'm changing my brakes this weekend (If it's not raining) and I'll definately remove my rear sway bar. Someone should invent some magical rock crawling powder you can sprinkle on your rig and presto... Instant rock crawler :D Anyway thanks for the assistance.

Funny you mentioned the "Magical Rockcrawling Powder". This actually does exist!! And, you might have a little bit of it too. Where is it located you ask?? It is in the bottom of your pockets and the only way to get to it is by spending all the money that is hindering access to the "MRP". When all your pockets are empty, that Magical Rockcrawling Powder will appear for a few trips out. Of course, it will disappear when you least expect it. Usually when you can not surrmount an obstacle! The only way to keep your hands on the MRP, is to keep spending and spending!! This my friend is the true meaning of JEEP or any other comparable rockcrawling rig. Just Empty Every Pocket!! It is a drug and you will get addicted to the MRP!! Just ask anyone in the world of wheelin. KENNETH !!

Some people are fine with removing the front swaybar. I disconnected mine and drove around for a few months and thought I was fine, however when I reconnected it I noticed a big difference. It's kinda like you won't notice when it's gone but you will notice when it's there if that makes any sense. With stock springs and shocks I would recomend keeping it on there. I'd also recomend the cheap 2" budget boost for what you do. Get the shackle for the rear, not the aal.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Nagrom said:
........... I plan on trimming my wheel wells but w/ a 4 door thiers not a lot of room to trim out the rear..........

I had 35" tires on my 4 door. It's easier than it looks. You'll need a welder to put the body back together or you'll have some structural issues. But if I do an XJ ever again, I'd stick to 4"-5" lift, 33" tires, 4.56 gears and just keep it streetable, yet capable. Very minor trimming required

Oh, and I totally agree with the shackle on the rear over the AAL. (although mine had both)

Oh, and another thing, I like front swaybars. The Tera ones aren't bad at all EXCEPT I lost a bushing. They're only $4 or something at Mepco, though.

Nagrom

I think I'm goin to sell my Grand and build my XJ into just a rock crawler. I want it to be street legal enough to drive on the road but thats it. Unless I could build up my ZJ easier which I doubt, but one of them is turning into a honda :sick: ! So as far putting 33's on my XJ if that's enough I'll do it but I want it VERY capable not so so :D

mbryson

Supporting Member
Nagrom said:
I think I'm goin to sell my Grand and build my XJ into just a rock crawler. I want it to be street legal enough to drive on the road but thats it. Unless I could build up my ZJ easier which I doubt, but one of them is turning into a honda :sick: ! So as far putting 33's on my XJ if that's enough I'll do it but I want it VERY capable not so so :D

What trails are you expecting to do with your "VERY capable" rig? I'm confident you could do some pretty difficult trails with some driving skill and 33" tires. The XJ is a great platform to build a streetable off-road rig (it does have some disadvantages), but if you're planning on running Upper Proving Grounds, I'd look to some other platform and a tow rig. Every trail I've ever done in my XJ, I think could be done with 33" tires.

Nagrom

mbryson said:
What trails are you expecting to do with your "VERY capable" rig? I'm confident you could do some pretty difficult trails with some driving skill and 33" tires. The XJ is a great platform to build a streetable off-road rig (it does have some disadvantages), but if you're planning on running Upper Proving Grounds, I'd look to some other platform and a tow rig. Every trail I've ever done in my XJ, I think could be done with 33" tires.
By very capable I don't expect it to compete with custom built krawlers but more be able to hold it's own and then some with other cherokee's. Oh, and of course I have to be able to out do my friends runner :p . You know the whole jeep/toyota thing!

mbryson

Supporting Member
Nagrom said:
By very capable I don't expect it to compete with custom built krawlers but more be able to hold it's own and then some with other cherokee's. Oh, and of course I have to be able to out do my friends runner :p . You know the whole jeep/toyota thing!

It's all about availability of parts, ground clearance and traction. Sometimes bigger isn't necessarily more capable, IMHO. Good luck outdoing the 'yota......(I think they're pretty equal--it's more about the driver and the setup of the rig--birfs break just as easy as 760's if not easier)

Nagrom

I know more height is'nt the most important thing to worry about. Thats why I was so bummed about not being able to trim my rear wheel wells much. I was hoping to put fairly large tires with as little lift as possible so that I can keep a good center of gravity.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Nagrom said:
I know more height is'nt the most important thing to worry about. Thats why I was so bummed about not being able to trim my rear wheel wells much. I was hoping to put fairly large tires with as little lift as possible so that I can keep a good center of gravity.

33", 4.5" lift (Rubicon Express), decent rear axle (XJ D44, 8.8, 2WD Toy) lockers and some spare parts, you're good to go.

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
Nagrom said:
Oh, and of course I have to be able to out do my friends runner :p . You know the whole jeep/toyota thing!
with a cherokee? HA!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: thats a good one, jeeps are cool, my sister drives one, but no match for a toyota