I Need Flex!!!!

When trimming the rear, (I'd say stick with 33's) don't cut the pinch welds off, cut a slot in it and hammer it flat. That does three things. Keeps the structural part of the weld in tact, keeps a jagged edge from cutting your tire and keeps water from making its way through the two pieces of metal that were formerly welded together. I've trimmed mine for 33's and kept the stock fender flares, I cut them off at the bend in the body. I'll get you some pics if you want something to look at.

Ford Prefect

Nagrom said:
I think I'm goin to sell my Grand and build my XJ into just a rock crawler. I want it to be street legal enough to drive on the road but thats it. Unless I could build up my ZJ easier which I doubt, but one of them is turning into a honda :sick: ! So as far putting 33's on my XJ if that's enough I'll do it but I want it VERY capable not so so :D

Actually, a ZJ is really easy to build, and it does not cost that much either. The nice thing about the ZJ OVER the XJ is that they are coils front and rear. If you want flex like you said, just put on some 3-4 inch long arms, with some 32-33's. STICK TO THE JKS! They are SO the best out there. They are greasable, and they are really easy to get on and off. Though I do not believe they make them for the rear.

WITH an XJ if you take off the rear sway bar, I doubt that it will make much difference, I have a CJ now (leafs obviously) and I took mine off and even with a hard yank on the wheel you really can not feel anything. I also have had TJ's and ZJ's and if you leave the sway bar disco'ed on the front WOW you can tell, and wow it is scary. REALLY easy way to roll an XJ on the roads, I knew a guy who totaled his because e yanked it at 30 mph and it rolled right over the stupid duck he was trying to avoid.

So yeah, I personally think that the ZJ is easy to build in comparison with the XJ, and less cutting required. I also personally recommend the JKS. I only had one problem with all of the JKS systems I have installed (six so far) and that was my fault as it turned out, but the JKS guys shipped the replacement parts free of charge, had them in just a few days.

And the ONLY time a jeep is “no match for a yota” is when you want to haul a lot of manure around, given that they are not well adept at hauling crap with them… :rofl: :rofl:

Cheers
Brian

Nagrom

Ford Prefect said:
Actually, a ZJ is really easy to build, and it does not cost that much either. The nice thing about the ZJ OVER the XJ is that they are coils front and rear. If you want flex like you said, just put on some 3-4 inch long arms, with some 32-33's. STICK TO THE JKS! They are SO the best out there. They are greasable, and they are really easy to get on and off. Though I do not believe they make them for the rear.

WITH an XJ if you take off the rear sway bar, I doubt that it will make much difference, I have a CJ now (leafs obviously) and I took mine off and even with a hard yank on the wheel you really can not feel anything. I also have had TJ's and ZJ's and if you leave the sway bar disco'ed on the front WOW you can tell, and wow it is scary. REALLY easy way to roll an XJ on the roads, I knew a guy who totaled his because e yanked it at 30 mph and it rolled right over the stupid duck he was trying to avoid.

So yeah, I personally think that the ZJ is easy to build in comparison with the XJ, and less cutting required. I also personally recommend the JKS. I only had one problem with all of the JKS systems I have installed (six so far) and that was my fault as it turned out, but the JKS guys shipped the replacement parts free of charge, had them in just a few days.

And the ONLY time a jeep is “no match for a yota” is when you want to haul a lot of manure around, given that they are not well adept at hauling crap with them… :rofl: :rofl:

Cheers
Brian
Cool, Thanks for the input man, I'm not sure what I'm gonna do yet. I'll prob. keep both of them and keep one a little more road worthy than the other. Perhaps I'll remove my front sway and go duck huntin :rofl: . I did somthin similar but it involved a dog and a firebird, Not my finest moment. I knew my ZJ was rear coil but did'nt know if it made that much difference.

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
Ford Prefect said:

Cheers
Brian
hey hey hey the only time my yota has ever had to haul crap around was when my buddies cherokee's dana 30 couldnt carry its own weight, then i guess when i had to tow him up the rest of the obsticals, yes, my rig was very good at hauling crap around

Nagrom

SUPERFLY said:
hey hey hey the only time my yota has ever had to haul crap around was when my buddies cherokee's dana 30 couldnt carry its own weight, then i guess when i had to tow him up the rest of the obsticals, yes, my rig was very good at hauling crap around
Touche', I own a jeep but I'm lookin at buyin an 85 4-runner. Anyway my point is I have nothin against yotas. I too had to give some help to my friend when his rig broke down. But he drove an 86 4-runner so it's all perspective :p :D

Ford Prefect

SUPERFLY said:

Yes yes, everyone brakes something once in a while, big deal. I am just saying that I had a toy 4x4 in the past, and it was just not as good at wheeling as a real 4x4, so I got a jeep. I am much more pleased with the jeep.

They both had a 3"lift, they both had 32" tires. The tonka toy had a terrible approach angle, and horrific departure angle, and that is the main thing that killed it for me. (this was a short bed, short cab toy too)

I liked my toy for a mall crawler, but for real wheeling I like the jeep, besides, I can put the top and the windshield down on my jeep, and that is a ton of fun for me. Why, you may ask? Well, I am really into wheeling for the trial of the jeep, and for the view, and if something gets in the way of the view, what is the point of being there?
Cheers :)

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
Ford Prefect said:
Yes yes, everyone brakes something once in a while, big deal. I am just saying that I had a toy 4x4 in the past, and it was just not as good at wheeling as a real 4x4, so I got a jeep. I am much more pleased with the jeep.

They both had a 3"lift, they both had 32" tires. The tonka toy had a terrible approach angle, and horrific departure angle, and that is the main thing that killed it for me. (this was a short bed, short cab toy too)

I liked my toy for a mall crawler, but for real wheeling I like the jeep, besides, I can put the top and the windshield down on my jeep, and that is a ton of fun for me. Why, you may ask? Well, I am really into wheeling for the trial of the jeep, and for the view, and if something gets in the way of the view, what is the point of being there?
Cheers :)
i too have owned both a jeep and a few toys, in my experiance, i had an fj 40 with a removible top and fold down windsheild, with the fj 40 i got bigger axles, bigger engine, more reliable, but most of all, with the toy, i got respect, everyone and their dog has a jeep, every time i step out of my house, there goes another lifted jeep. its almost annoying. but pull that fj out of the garage, drive it around a bit, it makes you feel good, then on the weekends (you can acually go wheeling cause the rig runs) pull up to your favorite trail and you instantly become a favorite because your stock fj40 just out wheeled the cj with 12 inches of lift.

Nagrom

SUPERFLY said:
i too have owned both a jeep and a few toys, in my experiance, i had an fj 40 with a removible top and fold down windsheild, with the fj 40 i got bigger axles, bigger engine, more reliable, but most of all, with the toy, i got respect, everyone and their dog has a jeep, every time i step out of my house, there goes another lifted jeep. its almost annoying. but pull that fj out of the garage, drive it around a bit, it makes you feel good, then on the weekends (you can acually go wheeling cause the rig runs) pull up to your favorite trail and you instantly become a favorite because your stock fj40 just out wheeled the cj with 12 inches of lift.
I do agree with fact that thier are so many lifted jeeps its annoying! Thats why I'm buildin an XJ a little bit rarer to see lifted than a CJ or TJ Etc. Plus, you allways have to find somthin to do to your rig to set it apart from the rest :greg:

McGhie

O hey there Pard!
SUPERFLY said:

:cool: :cool:

Ford Prefect

Nagrom said:
I do agree with fact that thier are so many lifted jeeps its annoying! Thats why I'm buildin an XJ a little bit rarer to see lifted than a CJ or TJ Etc. Plus, you allways have to find somthin to do to your rig to set it apart from the rest :greg:

but but but,

I like my lifted CJ :)

mesha

By endurance we conquer
quote Thats why I'm buildin an XJ a little bit rarer to see lifted than a CJ or TJ Etc.

Ya, you see way more lifted CJs driving around then XJs with 33s, :rolleyes: whatever.
Maybe less than TJs, but not by much. Maybe I just live in cherokee land.
Jeep, toyota, chevy, ford, dodge, suzuki who cares just get out and wheel !!!

Nagrom

mesha said:
quote Thats why I'm buildin an XJ a little bit rarer to see lifted than a CJ or TJ Etc.

Ya, you see way more lifted CJs driving around then XJs with 33s, :rolleyes: whatever.
Maybe less than TJs, but not by much. Maybe I just live in cherokee land.
Jeep, toyota, chevy, ford, dodge, suzuki who cares just get out and wheel !!!
Well Put :cool: So far, However, I have only seen one lifted Ford Pinto :D

MuddinXJ

Soon to be on 38.5" tires
By cutting the straps you are putting alot of tension on the springs and they can twist if you push them to their limits. Its not a pretty sight either. But it does help dramitically. On the swaybars go ahead and yank them off. I'm sitting on 35s w/ 6.5" lift and don't even notice that they aren't there. Also remember that a sawzall is your friend. Your fenders are your enemy. Be cruel to them, but make it look good.

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
Nagrom said:
Nothin against your CJ my friend :D Gawd were all in the same sport! can,t we all just get along! :D
hey we gotta have somethin to get mad at each other about, right? all you "jeepers" out there with your "jeep thing" :rolleyes: nope, i dont understand it :rofl: :rofl:

Ford Prefect

SUPERFLY said:

Most people I know figure that if you are driving an FJ40 it is because you can not afford a jeep.

As for the 12 inch thing, what sort of moron would lift ANYTHING that tall other than a literal monster truck. Thus, what is the big deal if you can out wheel him. The poor dumb sap most certainly did not know his clutch from his wife's backside.

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
Ford Prefect said:
Most people I know figure that if you are driving an FJ40 it is because you can not afford a jeep..
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: not unless your cj is made out of gold, you can get a cheap.. aa jeep for 2000(if you really shop around) to 8000 maybe 9000 for a nice one, but then try selling it for that. i personally drive a fj62(the body style that not as many people want, its got rust dents the whole deal but ive been offered 8 for it.
my brother has a fj40.his is in mint condition with 20,000 miles on it, its going on ebay with the reserve at 35,000 bucks, and he has been told thats low. his buddie sold his 40 that had a million miles on it(but still had a way clean body) on ebay for 30 grand.
true that you may be able to buy a cruiser for 1000 bucks (if you look really really hard) but even at that you will still always be able to sell it for more. i bought mine with a bad motor for 500 bucks.
if you buy a jeepfor 1000 bucks chances are that you wont get any more than that when you try to sell it, if you can sell it.
Ford Prefect said:
As for the 12 inch thing, what sort of moron would lift ANYTHING that tall other than a literal monster truck. Thus, what is the big deal if you can out wheel him. The poor dumb sap most certainly did not know his clutch from his wife's backside.
obviously if hes willing to get a jeep :p