I need to start saving!

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
That is an interesting and well-written article, thanks for sharing. To his point about compromise vehicles, and the failure of XTerra/FJ Cruiser, I heartily concur. If the FJ Cruiser had been built the right way (A toyota Rubicon) I guarantee I would own one. When Toyota debut'ed the FJ, I was severely disappointed. Ford has earned my respect with the Raptor, and could potentially become my brand of choice if they threw down on this type of Bronco. Fingers crossed...

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
The FJ was a cool vehicle in it's own right, but not making the top removable ruined it for me. A Bronco with a removable top would be a welcome competitor to the Jeep Wrangler. IFS or solid axle. Breathe on it with some Raptor influence and...

Back in the day, you had your Jeep CJ, Ford Bronco, and FJ40. All three had top-down, doors off cruising in common. It would be great to see that dynamic again.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
I'm mostly bitter against Toyota on the failed FJ because they should freaking know better. They know how to make seriously capable, and old-school rugged off road vehicles, and still make them for other countries. The fact that they read our market as being not interested in that discredits how much toyota love is simply left-over from the now discontinued great models, and nothing current inspires. They decided to compete in the H2 segment (folks who want to feel off-roady, but will never leave the pavement) rather than the wrangler or actual off-road segment.

Clearly, my bitterness continues, as I am a big toyota fan, yet these days I find myself respecting Ford and Chrysler more than toyota USA. Also, my tundra trd off-road package was seriously just a sticker. No locker? Lame.

So yeah, bring on the new bronco!!!

Last edited:

DAA

Supporting Member
Back in the day, the Scout was a removable top, easy off doors, fold down windshield option too. Couple other models also had removable tops, way back when - Ramchargers, Blazers.

It used to be a thing...

I have no specific knowledge, but suppose modern gov't crash safety standards, combined with CAFE and the need to keep weight down and aerodynamics up, are the cost/design hurdles for bringing convertible, capable 4x4's back in a big way.

- DAA

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Back in the day, the Scout was a removable top, easy off doors, fold down windshield option too. Couple other models also had removable tops, way back when - Ramchargers, Blazers.

It used to be a thing...

I have no specific knowledge, but suppose modern gov't crash safety standards, combined with CAFE and the need to keep weight down and aerodynamics up, are the cost/design hurdles for bringing convertible, capable 4x4's back in a big way.

- DAA

I'd bet that's a HUGE factor. Some of the new Wrangler press "leaks" have mentioned the challenges of the fold down windshield and the convertible tops. Selling some of the car-like Jeeps are allowing Jeep to sell Wranglers due to CAFE. Mfg. have an interesting tightrope to walk with any vehicle but esp. enthusiast vehicles with the crash standards and such. I kind of wouldn't be surprised if the "hard top" evolves into something that you just pull panels/windows off of and it leaves a "cage" structure to be in compliance

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I'm mostly bitter against Toyota on the failed FJ because they should freaking know better. They know how to make seriously capable, and old-school rugged off road vehicles, and still make them for other countries. The fact that they read our market as being not interested in that discredits how much toyota love is simply left-over from the now discontinued great models, and nothing current inspires. They decided to compete in the H2 segment (folks who want to feel off-roady, but will never leave the pavement) rather than the wrangler or actual off-road segment.

Clearly, my bitterness continues, as I am a big toyota fan, yet these days I find myself respecting Ford and Chrysler more than toyota USA. Also, my tundra trd off-road package was seriously just a sticker. No locker? Lame.
So yeah, bring on the new bronco!!!

Your confusing the EPA, NHTSA and CAFE standards with Toyota's lack of interest in the U.S. The RTW Land Cruiser variants wouldn't be importable by Toyota without full redesign and re power, and CAFE standards bump again in 2019

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
It is great to see some discussion here! I would love to see a legitimate competitor to the Jeep. Like Kurt said, it is increasingly difficult for auto manufactures to bring economic, stringently safe, vehicles to the US because of our government mandates. There are some really awesome vehicles in the world, but even Ford hasn't brought all of them here because of regulations.

I just hope when, or if, the new Bronco comes out i can afford one. I don't see myself dropping $50k+ on a rig to go beat up off road, but ya never know. The new Rubicons fully loaded are approaching that price already! :eek:

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
Your confusing the EPA, NHTSA and CAFE standards with Toyota's lack of interest in the U.S. The RTW Land Cruiser variants wouldn't be importable by Toyota without full redesign and re power, and CAFE standards bump again in 2019

No. I'm not saying they are simply choosing not to import what is currently rolling off the production line (I'll trust you that their hands are tied), I'm saying they KNOW how to build something that would be a legitimate contender to the Rubicon. They COULD have built a new vehicle that had a removable top, simple platform that was relatively cheap to lift/modify, locking front/rear axles, etc. using US spec components. They didn't think the market was there for it, which is a shame.