Idaho City 100 race report

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I am not much of one of writing up ride reports, but with the recent discussions by a few people on this board about racing, I thought I would put something together on my recent trip to race the Idaho City 100 ISDE qualifier. For everyone who is not familiar with the enduro format, it is basically a trail ride that has timed special tests mixed into it. The field of riders for this event is broken up into 5 basic levels. LOI (Letter of Intent) is riders who are trying to qualify for an invitation to be on one of the USA ISDE teams, AA is Pro non LOI, A is expert, B is intermediate and C beginner. They also run a sportsman class. Each of those catagories also have some sub catagories for bike size or age.

The field of riders is broken up into minutes with 3 riders starting on each minute beginning at 9:01 am. The LOI riders were first off the line, followed by AA, A, B, C then sportsman. The first thing that happens each morning is the club puts up a schedule that tells you what time you have to be through every check point and the mileage to that check. For example if you start on minute 58 like we did the first day, and you have 102 minutes to be to check 1 and it is 32 miles, you know you need to be through it by 11:40. If you get to the check early you have the opportunity to grab a bite to eat and hydrate. There is penalty points for passing a check early or late.

The unknown factors of the event are the special tests that are scattered throughout the course. A special test is just a timed event where the goal is to get through it as fast as you can since your time is your points for the special test. The key is to have the lowest points. So, each loop is an unknown number of special tests that are connected by transfer sections.

For Idaho City you can sign up to race one or both days…….I decided to do both days and ran the Vet A (40 +) class. This is the first time I have ever run an enduro and have the good fortune of regularly riding with a few people who have qualified and competed at the ISDE. They gave me a lot of insight in how to run this type of format and the best advice was “you can’t win in the transfer sections, but you can lose in the special tests”.

The one special test you can preview is the grass track. Here are a few pictures of the walk we did of the grass track.

Grass track start

The grass track has a lot of elevation change.

All bikes are impounded the night before the race. You can retrieve your bike from impound 10 minutes before your start minute. So if you have any work to do, you can do it at that time. You have to do the work yourself. You can be handed parts and tools, but nobody else can touch your bike.

The race in Idaho City is 120 miles and takes it’s toll on your body. One of my friends who competed at the ISDE in Morellia, Mexico in 2010 learned hand taping technique that keeps blisters away. Since my hands were still a little tore up from the Cherry Creek National Hare and Hound, so I bribed her to wrap my hands.

Some pictures from the start of day 1.
Josh Knight, from Ogden competed last year and will probably get another invitation this year.

Bringing my bike out of impound

Waiting to start our minute

Start of day 1

Gas check

Getting early to the check is an opportunity to grab a bite to eat and hydrate.

Waiting for our minute to finish out day 1

After you finish you have 15 minutes to work on your bike before you have to impound for the night.

On day 2 it starts out pretty much like day 1 except you run the course backwards and some of the special tests change. This is a picture a course photographer took on the grass track on day 2.

Taking a breather at check 1 day 2

Leaving check 2 on our minute.

Waiting to finish our minute on day 2

My hand Monday morning as I was draining puss from the blister.

Overall this was a great experience. I will definitely be back next year. I earned a Gold medal both days. Saturday I finished 5[SUP]th[/SUP] overall in my class and Sunday was 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] and only 14 points out of 1[SUP]st[/SUP].

Caleb

Thanks for the report. I was looking over the results earlier today with a buddy of mine and I noticed you did pretty good overall. Your hand looks like it's going to be sore :eek:

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I got a message a couple hours ago that Josh Knight got invited to participate on a club team for the ISDE in Sardena, Italy. This is an incredible accomplishment for a him. 17 years old and participating in his 2nd ISDE.

Caleb

I got a message a couple hours ago that Josh Knight got invited to participate on a club team for the ISDE in Sardena, Italy. This is an incredible accomplishment for a him. 17 years old and participating in his 2nd ISDE.

So for those of us that don't fully understand, is participating on a club team what they are after or is there a higher team to participate on? Still cool either way. :cool:

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Thanks for the report. I was looking over the results earlier today with a buddy of mine and I noticed you did pretty good overall. Your hand looks like it's going to be sore :eek:
Thanks. I was happy with my result since it was the first time I have ever run this type of format. When I look at my Sunday result and I was only 14 seconds out of first I can't help but replay all the special tests in my mind and know that I could have easily made that time up if I would have pushed a little harder. But you never know until the race is over and all is said and done. It was not only one of theist physically demanding races I have ever done but is by far the most mentally demanding.

D

Deleted member 12904

Great report! Very cool to gold medal both days

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
So for those of us that don't fully understand, is participating on a club team what they are after or is there a higher team to participate on? Still cool either way. :cool:
There are 5 basic levels of representation at the ISDE mens team.
1. Trophy Team. This is a hand picked team of riders who are chosen to represent the USA against the Worlds best off road racers. The 2012 team consisted of Kurt Caselli, Russell Bobbitt, Mike Brown, Charlie Mullins, Robert Garrison & Taylor Robert. This is the pro level class and these riders do not go through qualifier rounds most times
2. Junior Trophy Team. This team is made up of 4 riders who are selected from the ISDE qualifiers from around the country and they must be under 23 years of age. These riders are mainly riders who are in many ways being groomed to be the next trophy team riders.
3. Club teams. There are several groups that sponsor teams of 3 riders. These riders come through the qualifiers also but are not quite in the elite of being selected for the junior trophy team.
4. Womens Cup Team.
5. Senior Club Team

One major consideration to being on a club team is cost. The trophy team riders are all expenses paid riders and the Junior team riders have most their major expenses covered. The club team riders compete at this event on their own dime. They pay to have their bikes shipped if they choose to send a bike or if they rent a bike they have to cover that cost. Hotels, meals, travel, parts, etc, all comes out of their own pocket. I don't know what the exact number is, but I know it cost over $20K for Josh to compete last year on a club team.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I just found out that another friend I ride with that grew up in Price got an ISDE invitation. Since he is in the process of moving back to Utah from Denver, I do not yet know if he is going to accept or decline it. That would be pretty neat to have 2 riders from Utah competing at the 2013 ISDE.