Votes: 15 48.4%
  • DOMESTICS

Votes: 16 51.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
since we're talking trucks/4x4 I have to vote domestic.

my reasoning is completely emotional. I've always wanted a jeep (for about as long as I can remember). Now I have one, and I wouldn't trade it for the most killer import.

If we were talking cars....imports all the way.

jd

yellowjacket

Much more comfortable
Guys, we are talking about which one's you have to rebuild engines after 100k and which one's you don't have to rebuild at all. Which tranny's go out. Which last longer, etc.

toy73scout

A free scout I'll take it
scouts can run 300K with out a rebuild my scout has 185K and the only prob I'm haveing is with a after market carb and after 180K and blowing up the rear end the tranny went out

yellowjacket

Much more comfortable
Originally posted by toy73scout
scouts can run 300K with out a rebuild my scout has 185K and the only prob I'm haveing is with a after market carb and after 180K and blowing up the rear end the tranny went out
EXACTLY, I believe that would count as an Import.

Honesty, how many domestic engines go over 200k? Maybe there's tons, but I haven't heard of a whole lot.

yellowjacket

Much more comfortable
Originally posted by 1968jeepthing
yeah, you cant beat the good old domestics. find me an import engine better than the chevy 4.3 or 5.7 and then maybe i'll start to like them.
Brian, size doesn't make up for quality! Didn't your girl tell you that.:D SIZE DOESN'T MATTER. SuperRunner is pushing over 400 hp out of his little I6 3.0 TOYOTA engine!

P

pokeyYJ

Hey if you are going to look for a reliable set up, look for low torque and low hp numbers. This puts less stress on things and you can make up for the turd output with gearing. I have a Jeep 2.5 that has 67K on it and not a single thing has gone wrong.

SmokinCamel

Went from 80" to 125" :)
Import all the way. Easyer to work on too. I like finding the tools that I need. 13/64ths??? Nope 5/64ths??? Nope 4/89ths?!?!?!?! Ahhh 14mm thats better. :D

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Originally posted by toy73scout
scouts can run 300K with out a rebuild

I.H. must have been using that special alloy. "Unobtanium" I believe it's called. :rolleyes:

I will admit that a Scout motor could possibly go 300K without a rebuild under the best of cicumstances. However, the majority of them will not. Don't get me wrong, Scouts are cool! I.H. had the same engine building technology available to them as the other manufacturers of that era.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Originally posted by 1968jeepthing
size does matter, your not gunna get as much torque you need for wheeling from a little 4 cyl or 6 cyl thatn you could from a big chevy v-8 or big chevy v-6

If you're gonna be muddin', snow bashing, or racing up the dunes then fine. However, if good 'ol rockcrawling is your thing, that big power just isn't important anymore.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Originally posted by SmokinCamel
Import all the way. Easyer to work on too. I like finding the tools that I need. 13/64ths??? Nope 5/64ths??? Nope 4/89ths?!?!?!?! Ahhh 14mm thats better. :D

All ya need is a 10, 12, and 14mm socket, and you can basically disassemble that entire thing! :D

A Samurai isn't a bad option here. I'm picking up another one tomorrow as a matter of fact...

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I would like to import one of those fancy South American ZJ's with the real d44's front and rear and diesel engines. I guess that kinda crosses bounderies huh.

And maybe a little brazilian/latina hotty can come too.

Cody

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Originally posted by yellowjacket
Guys, we are talking about which one's you have to rebuild engines after 100k and which one's you don't have to rebuild at all. Which tranny's go out. Which last longer, etc.

ok, I'll be more specific: domestic and specifically jeep.

why?
unlimited availability of aftermarket parts and accessories
if you have the right motor, nearly indestructible (the inline 6 specifically)
High availability of used parts.
High number of aftermarket shops that specialize in Jeep modifications.

drawbacks? they are not cheap

will it need a rebuild after 100,000 miles? Perhaps, but unless all you do is drive it on the street, you'll probably be playing with all the major components over time anyway.

I consider Jeeps (or any other vehicle that is a trail/double duty rig) to be enthusiast machines. Right out of the gate I take this to mean more maintenance than my commuter car (which happens to be a full size dodge pickup).

xjc

I give up :(
Here's a point of view from a guy who worked many years at the local quick lube joint:

As far as the engine is concerned, unless you bought it new its a crap shoot! I have seen jeeps, hondas, yotas, chebbys and just about evey car you want to talk about go 300K. I have also seen the same cars need new engins at 90k. Its all about how well you take care of them.

If you drive around town and change your oil every 20k miles wether it needs it or not, youre not gona get 100k out of it. If you drive a high geared vehicle on the freeway and change the oil with synthetic you could proabably get 2million out of it.

yota's relyable,

jeeps, parts and service is easy to find,

full size americal, ???

suzuki, no competition in the cheep catagory. (buying one on thursday)