Instagram update & new TOS

RockChucker

My wife showed me that last night. Spent way too much time reading the terms of use after it. And then proceeded to block all manner of access for instagram, fb, google apps, etc. It's crazy what settings they default to. Yikes. I have a feeling that these terms of service will cause my work to block all social media type websites if it can see what's on your PC.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I kind of wonder with some of the social media stuff, I signed up on facebook years ago and when you were signing up it said something like "let's connect with your friends, enter your email address/password and we'll connect you!" I was sitting there wondering why I would ever allow a 3rd party access to my email? If I want to be hacked I think sticking my username/password on a post-it or scrawling it on the bathroom wall is a lot more secure. If I can do something in a browser why would I download an app that has access to my contacts/GPS/calendar/microphone/camera/SMS/storage? There was some push recently to move from facebook to parler, and right on the signup it wants your cell phone number. Do I trust these people not to spam my cell phone? I nope'd out of it, but I've also heard if you want to send a PM it requires a picture of your drivers license... If I don't trust them with my cell phone why would I want to provide my drivers license? :spork:

I guess I struggle with social media, I must have read 1984 too many times, I keep wondering when we're going to start with social credits, or if we already have begun and I just don't know it yet. I really ought to go reset all my passwords everywhere so they are all unique but the effort is overwhelming...

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I kind of wonder with some of the social media stuff, I signed up on facebook years ago and when you were signing up it said something like "let's connect with your friends, enter your email address/password and we'll connect you!" I was sitting there wondering why I would ever allow a 3rd party access to my email? If I want to be hacked I think sticking my username/password on a post-it or scrawling it on the bathroom wall is a lot more secure. If I can do something in a browser why would I download an app that has access to my contacts/GPS/calendar/microphone/camera/SMS/storage? There was some push recently to move from facebook to parler, and right on the signup it wants your cell phone number. Do I trust these people not to spam my cell phone? I nope'd out of it, but I've also heard if you want to send a PM it requires a picture of your drivers license... If I don't trust them with my cell phone why would I want to provide my drivers license? :spork:

I guess I struggle with social media, I must have read 1984 too many times, I keep wondering when we're going to start with social credits, or if we already have begun and I just don't know it yet. I really ought to go reset all my passwords everywhere so they are all unique but the effort is overwhelming...

I don’t do it because I don’t have facespace but I’m shocked at how many things have/require Facebook login integration. Banks, credit services, job websites, gaming consoles.

Biggest annoyance looking for a new job more jobs are posted on facespace than anywhere else. The world is just feeding into overlord zuckerbergs plan for world domination.

1609266714736.png

Last edited:

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Question what permissions and settings are you guys changing on instagram? I can't seem to locate much other than not allowing location services