Installing mobile ham radio -- everything was going great UNTIL...

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I've finally purchased everything I need so as to install a mobile ham radio into one of my vehicles. I decided to put it in my Protege since that is my daily driver and would thus give me the most opportunity for use. (My plan is to ultimately purchase another radio for the Jeep.)

Anyway, I started with the hard part: the antenna. I opted for a permanent NMO mount, so I measured carefully and drilled into the center of my trunk lid. Due to bracing underneath that spot, I had to carefully fish the antenna cable into position... but, ultimately, it turned out great. I removed a few interior panels so as to run the wiring to the desired spot, but everything buttoned up just fine.

Next was the transceiver itself. This was pretty easy, as I had already decided where/how to mount it. I just needed to drill a few holes into a plastic panel, attach the bracket, then mount the radio to it. Simple.

I thought I had saved the easiest part for last: running the wires from the transceiver to the battery. I can't count how many times I've run wires from the passenger compartment into the engine bay of dozens of vehicles I have owned, but it is always a snap. Just find a grommet/hole/whatever for the wire to pass through and, well, pass it through. I had ten minutes to spare this morning, so I figured I'd go outside and take care of this simple little step.

Problem: I've never owned a 2003 Protege before.

Mazda covers the inside of the entire firewall with heavy rubber-backed insulation (in a gigantic one-piece assembly). Worse, there are essentially no built-in holes in the firewall... that are easy to get to, anyway. The best (?) option I have found is to go through a hole that leads to the inside of the fender, then snake the wires forward until they can exit at a corresponding hole next to the headlight. My only problem--well, okay, not my only problem--is figuring out how to coax the wire to move in the desired direction without simply bunching up on itself. :mad2:

Needless to say, I didn't get my wires installed today. When I have more time (read: hours), I plan to jack up the front, pull the left front wheel and see if removing the inner fender liner reveals anything helpful. The OEM "wire conduit" I found seems like it goes through this area; I'm hoping there is some sort of trap door or other access which will let me run the wires accordingly.

Stay tuned.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
use the hole for the shift linkage for the tranny.. it will run under the vehicle but should be easier to run then thru fenders... if you have an old metal hanger you can tape the wires to the hanger and push it thru... if you can't find one I have different size fishtape that I can loan you..

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
The issue I had from running my cable into the cab from the engine bay was that the end was already terminated with a large connector. I found a place to fish it through but it wasn't big enough for the end. I compromised and ran it through an okay place on the door seam but it bugs me every time I think about it. I wish I had the tools to clip it off, fish it through, then put a new end on it.

Good luck with the protege, and you must be a real ham cause you drilled. I didn't, I'm a faker.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
The issue I had from running my cable into the cab from the engine bay was that the end was already terminated with a large connector. I found a place to fish it through but it wasn't big enough for the end. I compromised and ran it through an okay place on the door seam but it bugs me every time I think about it. I wish I had the tools to clip it off, fish it through, then put a new end on it.

Good luck with the protege, and you must be a real ham cause you drilled. I didn't, I'm a faker.

Post a picture of the connector... I might have the ability to put it back together for you...

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
UPDATE, aka Success Hasn't Spoiled Me Yet

I initially liked John's idea of going underneath, but as I looked into it I decided to stick to the original plan. When I got home from work today, I pulled the wheel and removed the fender liner. This turned out to be the right idea, as it gave me access to a large rubber plug through which I could feed the power wires. I wasn't able to run them all the way up by the headlight, as the wires weren't long enough; I found another plugged hole that was located in a useful spot and took advantage of it.

Long story short, the installation is complete and I'm on the air. :cool:

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I'll post here since its not really worth making a new thread for this.

There is a Ham class this Saturday at the law library at BYU.

It starts early and you need to email the guy to get on the list but anyone can show up and take the test starting at about 1400 hours. Its like $14 is all to take it. I did this class last fall with my brother and passed the test the same day without any previous study. The class isn't actually exciting, the instructor basically reads the FCC section that regulates usage but if you can sit there and pay attention you should be able to pass. If I were doing it again I would take the morning and run through some practice exams until I consistently got over 85% then I'd take the test. I'm confident I could study for a couple hours and pass the exam.

Link to some of the class info.

Link to practice tests. These are the actual questions that are on the test. The question pool is like 280 different ones. If I remember right the test is 30 questions total all of which are multiple choice. You need 70% to pass.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I think you're a real ham, Dempsey.

rimshot2.gif