Internet Providers for the Millcreek area

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Looking for an internet provider so we can dump our Verizon hotspot. I've not heard the best things about Century Link, but thought I'd ask around to see if anyone has good things to say about them. I'm curious about Century Link because they have a great deal right now for $19.95/mo for one year and no contract. Thoughts?

Anyone in the Millcreek area have input on what providers work well in the area?

Thanks,

Jason

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I just switched to century link from comcast because I was tired of paying the outrageous prices and they didn't have anything that would be worth switching down to speed wise other than the 3mbps from the 50mbps we were at. Went from the 50 we had with comcast to 20mbps with centurylink and I honestly can't tell the difference. I've read about "peak times" and "throttling back" but so far no issues. It has only been a week though but going from $84 a month to $35 a month seems well worth it.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I've been thinking about making a move to Century link as well, but I've always been confused about the requirement to have a phone line. I have no use for a land line.
Jason, did you move to Millcreek?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I've been thinking about making a move to Century link as well, but I've always been confused about the requirement to have a phone line. I have no use for a land line.
Jason, did you move to Millcreek?

Are you sure that's still a requirement? You'll get a "bundling" discount if you include a phone line, but I'm pretty sure naked DSL has been a thing for years and years now. If Centurylink won't sell it to you, I know for sure you can get it if you order through a local ISP.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I just switched to century link from comcast because I was tired of paying the outrageous prices and they didn't have anything that would be worth switching down to speed wise other than the 3mbps from the 50mbps we were at. Went from the 50 we had with comcast to 20mbps with centurylink and I honestly can't tell the difference. I've read about "peak times" and "throttling back" but so far no issues. It has only been a week though but going from $84 a month to $35 a month seems well worth it.

Hmm, this is interesting to me. I've had Comcast internet in my house ever since I moved in, and my bill is similar at ~$80/month (I can't recall the exact amount). Just for kicks, I decided to hop over to SpeedTest.net and see what I'm getting at this exact moment: 13.8 Mbit download and 4.8Mbit upload. Brian, could you also try SpeedTest and tell us what you're seeing?

I may have to look into CenturyLink myself.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Hmm, this is interesting to me. I've had Comcast internet in my house ever since I moved in, and my bill is similar at ~$80/month (I can't recall the exact amount). Just for kicks, I decided to hop over to SpeedTest.net and see what I'm getting at this exact moment: 13.8 Mbit download and 4.8Mbit upload. Brian, could you also try SpeedTest and tell us what you're seeing?

I may have to look into CenturyLink myself.

Yeah I'll do that this afternoon when I get home.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Just did a few different speed tests.

Getting anywhere from 5mbps to 10mbps download for most servers but on one I pulled 18.48mbps.

Upload came in at 5-10mbps depending on server but seems to be faster than download speeds on the slower servers(which is weird). The one pulled that 18.48 pulled 9.52 for upload.

I'm happy with that since I don't play video games so I don't need crazy fast internet. This was also done with the WIFI router provided from centurylink, I might pull faster numbers if plugged directly in.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Didn't mention that we have no contract and no bundling, I did the setup myself so saved money that way. Our price is supposed to go up to $45 a month I believe my wife said after six months but I'm still happy with that. That price is still better than what comcast was willing to do for their 20 or 25 mbps whatever they have available which was over $60 a month with no contract and no bundling.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
There's currently 3 ways to get the $19.95/mo deal right now, one of which offers the locked rate for 5 years.

1) Current or new Verizon user qualifies for 1yr @ $19.95/mo no contract
2) Current or ne DirectTV user qualifies for 1yr @ $19.95/mo no contract
3) Add a land line for $45 per month and get the $19.95/mo rate locked for 5yrs, no contract.

We don't care for a land line, and the extra money for that would negate what we currently spend on Verizon's jetpack... Crappy, unreliable jetpack

We are with Verizon, so we'd just use that bundle.

Carl, how do you like Century Link? Good service? Customer service?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Centurylink is meh for me. OK service, nothing great. When I've had to deal with customer service it's been a frustrating hour-long call just about every time. BUT, it doesn't seem as bad as Comcast's customer service, for whatever that's worth.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Centurylink is meh for me. OK service, nothing great. When I've had to deal with customer service it's been a frustrating hour-long call just about every time. BUT, it doesn't seem as bad as Comcast's customer service, for whatever that's worth.

That's us. Better than Comcast! :D

shortstraw8

That is from my laptop wireless, I do Comcast cause we have a Roku that we stream netflix, hulu, and so on. We pay 65 month would have been 75, but they do the stupid add this and we will make it cheaper. I do online school and when I had Qwest my service sucked and was screwed around with on my bill so many times I cancelled. They might be better know that it is Centurylink, but I will probably never sign back up for them. I can be on my desktop with my kids watching netflix and wife playing on the laptop and not even notice it all.