Is having a buggy more fun?

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I'm in a weird spot with my jeep. Sometimes I think I'm going to be cutting it up more or taking the drivetrain out and building a buggy. Then I go wheeling for a few days and it changes my opinion. I was discussing it with a friend this morning. We wheeled with a friend of a friend all EJS that has tons, sticky 40's, atlas II etc etc and I think we might've had a better time than he did. Having a rig that is so built makes it harder to find a challenge. I take "buggy lines" quite often anyways and they can actually be challenging for my rig and I love that. I just think it's weird. Discuss!

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I don't think having a buggy is "more" fun. It is different. I really enjoy the challenge of having a rig that isn't quite as built and I have to work hard for some obstacles. I do like having a buggy for the fact that you can try all the hard lines and not worry about it. Your rig isn't a daily driver so you can do all that stuff anyway.

There does come a point where non buggy rigs just can't hang. Not really a problem on most of the trails in the world, but there are some.

I hav enever had more fun in any rig, including the buggy, than I used to in my 48 willys and my TJ on 33s. I wheeled the poop out of those rigs and loved every minute of it. I have a blast in my buggy too. It is hard to say. Everyone will have different needs and they should build accordingly. I have a buggy and a built rig because I can't choose between the 2.

Good luck figuring out an answer to this question ;)

N-Smooth

Good luck figuring out an answer to this question ;)
Wait, there is an answer? :)
I knew what I was getting into. I was more seeking a discussion than anything else.

Keep your XJ and wheel it as is
That's the plan. In fact it's always been the plan until I have to change something. I have a few more mods planned for it anyways

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Having the trail rig not being a daily driver and towing it was a more "fun" transition than going to OHV. Not worrying about body damage and how I was going to get to work Monday was a big deal for me.

When our TJ transitioned to a "buggy" status it came with other problems also. There is a lot to be said for OEM reliability and parts availability.

That said, I enjoy wheeling our TJ on 40s a lot more than I did on 35s, even on the mild trails.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
I did both last week. I wheeled my scrambler for several days, but then stole a buggy for a day...

While the buggy was a kick, the lightness, visibility, lack of worry for body panels, etc. I missed having all the gear I carry in my trail rig... I don't like bumming tools and such from buddies. :)

Can't say one was better or more fun. I can have fun in Moab walking :D (it is just not a preferred mode of transportation...)

N-Smooth

I like discussions like this, thanks guys. I can see the pros and cons of both. I was just going into EJS with the thought in the back of my mind that I might be in a buggy for EJS 2015. I don't think so now.

I think I would miss smashing up body panels. There's just something about that sound that just makes me smile.

skeptic

I think having a side by side would be more fun. Match the vehicle to the trail for whatever level of wheeling challenge you are after, or go blasting around sand dunes.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Its more about wheeling something you don't really care about after the day is done. Could take you 1 day to fix back up, or a month, but you don't depend on it like benjy said. That is when you have the most fun. They say a rental car is the best wheeler ever

N-Smooth

I think having a side by side would be more fun. Match the vehicle to the trail for whatever level of wheeling challenge you are after, or go blasting around sand dunes.

I couldn't consider that option (even if I wanted to) because they cost sooooo much more than my jeep. My neighbor has one and he's easily into it $30k. My jeep has maybe $5k into it and I still have fun in the dunes

skeptic

Not trying to talk you into anything, but not knowing what the used market is like I googled and checked craigslist. You it looks like you can get a Polaris RZR for under $5k, no idea on other UTVs as I only searched for RZRs. Going up to $10k gets you a lot more options, but just like jeeps you don't HAVE to go nuts and dump a ton of money into one.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
While driving my buggy around in Moab last week I found myself checking out and wishin I was driving some of non-buggy rigs that I seen driving on the trail. Which is funny because when I was driving a non-buggy rig I'm always wishing I was driving a buggy. Grass is always greener on both sides of that stupid fence.

I also tried the "own both" thing. That's even worse. Working on one vehicle all the time is enough for me. Two is just annoying. :D

My next challenge is making my buggy meet the new street legal laws. I'm actually pretty excited about that one!

N-Smooth

I also tried the "own both" thing. That's even worse. Working on one vehicle all the time is enough for me. Two is just annoying. :D

I could never own both. I'd end up cutting both of them in half or something. There's a reason I have an Acura and a truck under warranty too.

AaronPaige

I could never own both. I'd end up cutting both of them in half or something. There's a reason I have an Acura and a truck under warranty too.

Im trying the "both thing" right now the buggy, the tj and a new buggy, the typical moab experience is no fun in a buggy but a weekend in sand hallow is totally different, you have to make your lines in a buggy and go for something new or less traveled, the long trails are tuff on the passengers in a buggy that's why I'm going the both route... I love my buggy but the jeep has it's place too...

OB1

I've never owned a buggy but I've owned a number of jeeps and the one I had the most fun with was a 57 CJ5 Willy's bone stock. Wheeling it was a blast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk