General Tech Is this To LOW?

STPPINZ

I was offered a crawler box to throw in the Unimog. This is set of gears that are bolt on and only affect the first two gears (basically the low gears). But I am afraid that they will be to slow. Here are the numbers. What do you think?

GearRatios.jpg

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I think it's too low. A friend of mine has something in one of his Mogs, and at max RPM I can crawl faster that it moves LOL

I would think that around 100:1 is pretty close to the lowest reasonable recreational gear. :D not to mention the extra stress on drivetrain components...

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
would this affect the 2 reverse gears as well? that might get annoying if you use your mog on the street at all. Is this simular to a toyota crawl box, where you can shift it back to 1:1? my old mog seemed plenty low geared stock, i never had a situation when i thought i needed lower gears, lots of times when i wanted higher gears...

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Can you shift out of it? If so its not too low. if you can't then it might get annoying on street. I like my really low gears especially for my huge horsepower 4 cyl.

STPPINZ

would this affect the 2 reverse gears as well? that might get annoying if you use your mog on the street at all. Is this similar to a toyota crawl box, where you can shift it back to 1:1? my old mog seemed plenty low geared stock, i never had a situation when i thought i needed lower gears, lots of times when i wanted higher gears...

It does not affect the 2 reverse gears. If I have read correct, you shift into these gears with the reverse lever in neutral to even get them to enguage.

I am kind of leaning toward not getting them. I have looked into them even more and I have found out that they are pretty fragile. I guess the gears are not very thick so if you rompted on the gas at any time they most likely will implode. As one person said it "You have to treat them as if they were glass". Its easy to say you will never "abuse" them but in the heat of the moment it is hard to hold back...plus I already have quite a bit more horse power than the original set up that could add to the scenario.

STPPINZ

Can you shift out of it? If so its not too low. if you can't then it might get annoying on street. I like my really low gears especially for my huge horsepower 4 cyl.

You would be able to shift out of it but it is not seamless. It is kind of interesting. You shift into 1 and 2 and then to get to 3-6 you actually have to smack the shifter over into the other set of gears. On the road you start out in 3rd similar to a larger truck.

They are cool to show off. I'd steer clear of them on serious stuff. They are built for controlled speed use with implements - I've seen them grenade under high torque loads.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Thanks for that info, Eric... I was thinking they were used for that but didn't want to speak out of turn. :D

btw I've got a couple steering position indicators if you Mog guys want one, I believe they were used in that application as well... They're kind of neat.

STPPINZ

Well...after going back and forth on this and talking with people who actually use the crawler box I think I am going to do it. I will still have the option of the normally low 1st and 2nd. This will just be another option. I was under the assumption that I would loose my normal crawling ratio. But if I can keep that and just add these hecka low gears I think it will be pretty cool.

Here is a video of someone I talked to that uses them. Sometimes they are to low and he just shifts into the normal 1st to get his momentum like at the end of this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDPJgSsAygI

Last edited: