I've been selected, yays

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Got this in my email this morning:

Greetings,

After talking with Karl Delange, the Engine Boss for the fire crew here in PGRD and the person who has agreed to help facilitate the chainsaw cert, I have decided to have four volunteers get certified, Steve Winters, Gary Robinson, Stephen Bunker, and Tacoma White.
<<snip>>
I am really excited to get you guys certified for Bucking and Limbing because there are a plethora of trees across the trails. As always we are grateful for all your help.

Gary C. Gray
Volunteer Coordinator
Pleasant Grove Ranger District
Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest

Another tool in the arsenal. This one is a natural, as I am a former City of Salt Lake and Asplundh Tree Service tree trimmer, and I have certification for chainsaw work from a couple different disaster relief agencies.
Anyway, I'm excited to get up there and meet some of the PG rangers, and find out what the deal is w/cleaning up these tree-laden trails. ;)

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
I know in years past, the trail clearing guys rode motorcycles up AF Canyon... better be careful, don't want any more broken collar bones! :p

Could you imagine the horror... chainsaw + motorcycle + Tacoma? :eek: Can I take out a life insurance policy in your name? :hickey:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I know in years past, the trail clearing guys rode motorcycles up AF Canyon... better be careful, don't want any more broken collar bones! :p

Could you imagine the horror... chainsaw + motorcycle + Tacoma? :eek: Can I take out a life insurance policy in your name? :hickey:

It does not matter what you put before "motorcycle + Tacoma".......it wont be pretty.

Oh, BTW.....Congrats.

I'd do this: :cody: if it wasn't true hahahah I'm gonna pretty much get killed to death.

If I can figure a way to survive though, I'm really stoked to get out there. I hate coming up to tree obstacles on the trail. Plus, feet on the ground, man, hearts and minds!

:D

sixstringsteve

Hey, congrats. It'll be good to have you in the inner circle of forest service friends. I sure hope everyone clears the trees wide enough. Last time I was dirt biking up there on the singletrack, some of the cuts were only about a foot wide. If I had been a little left or right of the trail, or hanging a leg off, I would have smacked several trunks that were about a foot off the ground. It didn't help that the grass was a foot tall, making it impossible to see them.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Is there any other way to get killed?

yes. You can survive what mere mortals would die from, called "being killed!" I have to be killed to death to actually die.

Benjy, you surprise me with your morbid interest in my demise, but it's a savvy investment. Chances of seeing a massive return aren't too bad. :D

Caleb

Hey, congrats. It'll be good to have you in the inner circle of forest service friends. I sure hope everyone clears the trees wide enough. Last time I was dirt biking up there on the singletrack, some of the cuts were only about a foot wide. If I had been a little left or right of the trail, or hanging a leg off, I would have smacked several trunks that were about a foot off the ground. It didn't help that the grass was a foot tall, making it impossible to see them.
I've taken more than my fair share of hidden stumps and branches to the knees and elbows while riding up there. That's where body armor comes in :D

rambrush

Congrat's
Sounds like your next cert will be the class "B" federal faller.

Flush cut stumps and not leave them up high like the loggers do. quite a bit of difference between the two areas, Logging and federal.
Previous life I was a crew boss on a thinning crew out of the Tahoe NF Calif. sure was a great experience.