#iwannagofast ZJ build

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
Why not cut a bit of your grill out and sink the winch down and back a bit?
After sleeping on it, that’s the route I’m gonna go. I’m gonna move the plate to the underside of those brackets, and then cut the front crossmember out, and gain 2-3” of room to move it back.

6E2D591B-478C-480F-B3EC-AEEF41AB9F1A.jpeg

Not much room if I don't cut out the crossmember; even with the crossmember cut out, the radiator is right there:
B880EDBF-D7B0-489F-B8E0-BD98A74911CA.jpeg

Might end up something like this:
9D51CA1C-C02D-42EB-BBB5-66B4048331D8.png

Tom95YJ

Tom @ Artec
After sleeping on it, that’s the route I’m gonna go. I’m gonna move the plate to the underside of those brackets, and then cut the front crossmember out, and gain 2-3” of room to move it back.

View attachment 166989

Not much room if I don't cut out the crossmember; even with the crossmember cut out, the radiator is right there:

Might end up something like this:
View attachment 166991
That looks like it'll be a better setup for you Dan, You know the ZJ crowd will send you death threats for cutting up a 9er grille haha !

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
It sags to one side, has countless rattles, an odd vibration from who knows where, it smokes, has exhaust leaks, stops eventually, and has multiple fluid leaks…..but I took it to the gas station that is 0.7 miles away (since the gas light has been in for who knows how long), and it made it there and back without anyone dying! Hey, it’s the little wins.

E963F8B1-5ED8-4660-A82E-8F2A7D297BB7.jpeg701DD372-3B5B-41DA-82A2-137AB01EBC89.jpeg

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
I did things.

I cut this out, since it was getting in the way; still have to cut out the other side, and then close them both back in, but with more clearance. The airbox on the drivers side was eliminated as you can see from the cone filter that’s peaking through, but the other side will be a little more tricky, as that’s where the battery and fuse box currently live.
IMG_8832.jpeg

I started my locker swap. The 11+ super duty’s came with E-lockers in the rear axle, and they’ll fit in all sterlings going back to the late 80s. Just gotta swap some things and it *should* drop right in.
IMG_9047.jpeg

Snagged a 1350 rear output yoke from Tom Woods to replace the 1310 yoke that comes with the Teraflex SYE kit. Gotta get that in, and then order a new rear driveshaft, also from Tom Woods; I didnt trust the one I built.
IMG_8825.jpeg

I also bought this diff cover and ram clamp mount from a buddy of mine who was going to full hydro. Just gotta get some hoses made up, and then I can tackle the steering system (again). Box is tapped and ready to go; I have an upgraded pump too, but I’m not sure if I want to mess with that just yet.
IMG_9049.jpeg

How many days til Delta?

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
Well, time for an unfortunate update. I learned last night that the axle I thought was a Sterling 10.5 is in fact a Dana m275 rear axle; internally, these two axles are different in almost every way- 12 vs 14 bolts holding the ring gear in place, 35 vs 36 spline shafts, 10.25/10.5” ring gear vs 10.8” and so on, so the eLocker from the m275 will not work in the Sterling. Not gonna lie, this is a pretty big setback. Back to the drawing board.

Last edited: