Jeep Accident in Colorado - Camp Bird Road near Ouray

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I assumed it was Black Bear pass, I was wrong. Makes me wonder what happened since it seems like the driver was very experienced being a tour guide and local.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Some info here: https://www.ouraynews.com/news/tragedy-camp-bird

Since the driver was 72, maybe it was a health incident.

Camp Bird Road near Ouray

"Their 2022 Jeep Gladiator drifted off the edge of Ouray County Road 361, also known as Camp Bird Road, as it headed toward Ouray from the Yankee Boy Basin. The vehicle went over the side of a drop-off, crashed to the bottom, then rolled down a rocky bank, throwing Fehd as it rolled and landed on its top, according to preliminary reports from the Colorado State Patrol."

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I heard about this a few days ago, extremely tragic situation... especially when they were paying the tour guide to show them the mountains and they put their trust in his capabilities.

A few years ago there was a guy killed on that same stretch of road, when he accidentally stepped over the edge of the road. If I recall, they had been partying and this guy had been drinking. You may be 'down' off the mountain at that point, but there's still plenty of elevation changes to kill you!

Greg

Admin
Anyone have pictures of the area or terrain?

I'm not sure if this is exactly where the tour guide went off the road, but this is just up the road from where the guy stepped off the edge accidentally.

Greg

Admin
Some info here: https://www.ouraynews.com/news/tragedy-camp-bird

Since the driver was 72, maybe it was a health incident.

Camp Bird Road near Ouray

"Their 2022 Jeep Gladiator drifted off the edge of Ouray County Road 361, also known as Camp Bird Road, as it headed toward Ouray from the Yankee Boy Basin. The vehicle went over the side of a drop-off, crashed to the bottom, then rolled down a rocky bank, throwing Fehd as it rolled and landed on its top, according to preliminary reports from the Colorado State Patrol."

Screenshot_20220916_155854.jpg

That's a bad spot, there's a sharp, blind curve and massive cliff... it wouldn't be hard to get distracted and miss the curve, IMO.

This is very close to the spot the guy stepped off, too. This spot is just below the footage I posted.

Greg

Admin
A few years ago there was a guy killed on that same stretch of road, when he accidentally stepped over the edge of the road. If I recall, they had been partying and this guy had been drinking. You may be 'down' off the mountain at that point, but there's still plenty of elevation changes to kill you!