General Tech Jeep crankshaft positioning sensor ..???? :'(

2001 jeep xj4.0 auto 97xxxb..my moms jeep she calls me and says that her jeep died and won't start .. get there she had just turned it off to go into the store and came out and no workie .will crank but no boom has fuel to the rail but not in the cylinders has new coil packs and plugs sounds like not firing pulled the new coil pack and no spark . With a plug in it .pulled the battery terminals and let sit for 15 min and still no go . So I'm thinking the ckp is not sending a signal to the computer telling it to fire .. any help or insight would be awesome ! Thanks all !p.s. I did check all the fuel and ignition fuses and relays .. and they are all ok ..it did throw a code but not sure yet I don't own a code reader .

Last edited:

STAG

On my grind
Thats what it sounds like to me too. and fwiw, CPS is camshaft position sensor... CKP is crankshaft postition sensor... dont shoot the messenger :greg:

Last edited:

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
id get a code first, it does sound like the CKP but throughing parts at it isnt the way to go. It could be just the connector or possibly the cps. There is a ohm's and volt test on the CKP you can perform just back prob the connector and see what you get

Badger

I am the Brute squad
One thing I have learned with both the CPS and CKP are to get the from the stealership over parts to stores. The ones you get at parts stores tend to go bad after a few months or a year. Yes they may be warrantied but they are not something you want to fight having to get another one in and out.

DAA

One thing I have learned with both the CPS and CKP are to get the from the stealership over parts to stores.

Same experience. Replaced the CKP in my son's ZJ with one from the parts store and it only lasted about two months. Instead of using the warranty replacement, I put on in from the dealer and it's been doing fine ever since.

Replaced a TPS in my Jeep with one from auto parts store (on a trip, in the parking lot). It was bad again before I got home! Replaced it with dealership part and no issues since.

- DAA

Here's the carnage .. cps syncro and cps are Nfg . Went with the cheaper part for now will have a stealership part on hand thanks you guys are awesome ! I love this community and rme :D:D

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1349743809990.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349743809990.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 5