Jeep fire trailer rescue needed.

DAA

Supporting Member
On I80 about 40 miles west of wendover. Got fire out okay . Dry grass on skidplate. No clutch. Not sure if can start in gear but probably not. If can start should be able to shift without clutch and get back on freeway. Would need trailer in Tooele in about two hours. Otherwise just be sitting here.

My cell 8015990537. If I don't post again real soon I'm driving. Call me :D

- DAA

DAA

Supporting Member
Neighbor is coming. Be here in another 90 minutes or so. Jeep will start in gear but decided safer to wait for trailer. Clutch line and wires/connectors burned. Locker pumps toast. Thinking new Trans harness is going to be needed all the wires at the back where everything plugs in are gone. Not sure what all else. Not a thrill but could have been way worse. Got pulled over and put it out pretty fast. Could have lost whole Jeep and everything in it.

- DAA

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
Glad you are getting home. I've seen more than one rig burn to the ground because of the exact same thing. Glad you are okay.

DAA

Supporting Member
Yup, made it home last night okay. Thanks to everyone who has offered help - it's appreciated!

I was wrong about it starting in gear, too. It won't start. I had verified it would crank and when I did, the engine did fire briefly, so I presumed I could get it started. But when I actually tried, it's not starting. Pure wild guess, first time I tried that little sputter it gave was the last fuel in the system, but now it's not getting any. Again, wild guess, but thinking wires to fuel pump were burned.

Won't know the full extent of the damage for awhile. Hoping insurance is going to cover it and someone else will be doing the work anyway, but it's looking like it will take at least a week to find that out. Progressive is treating it like a criminal investigation, basically acting like I torched it and am trying to pull an insurance scam or something. Hopefully, when someone actually gets here to inspect it they'll recognize what an asinine proposition that is... But they are interviewing my buddy Tim that was with me, my neighbor that came to get me, investigating all my and my wife's financials, looking for possible motive, etc. On top of that, they say if it's not the grass fire I say it is, but a part failed and caused it, they won't cover it either.

Still hopeful they'll cover it, but it's obvious they are going to put some resources into trying not to.

If I end up doing it myself, I won't have time to really start digging into it for a month and it might take me another month to figure it all out. Then who knows how long to get it back together again. Sure hope that's not how it goes...

- DAA

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I have a friend who owns an auto body shop and he says that Progressive is the worst to deal with. Always want them to take short cuts and use parts from salvage yardswhenever possible. I hope things work out for you

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Ooh, insurance companies... My favorite. Good luck with that Dave, I'm sure once the adjuster sees that your not some scam artist they'll kick the repair into gear.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I towed a buddy home once who had his engine catch fire. The whole front of the truck and cab were burned. Insurance didn't cover it because he didn't get a police report when it happened.

DAA

Supporting Member
Insurance is covering it. And, didn't total it.

LHM has had it for 3-1/2 weeks now. Just disgusted with them. Had not even looked at it yet after two weeks. Got started only after I went there and pitched a fit. Then, called to say they'd have the clutch line done in another week or two. I was kind of like, "and....?". Nope, just the clutch line. That's all they found. Dipchits did not even notice it had been on fire, or the burned wiring harness, or the charred remains of the locker pumps or the fire blackened fuel lines (all about 12" from the clutch line...). Hell, honestly, I had it towed there, and they were not even aware that it won't start!

Pretty sure when they do have it done, after more than a month, it still won't actually be done. They have made zero effort, and I mean ZERO to troubleshoot or look for damage. The only things they are replacing are the things I showed them and none of those explain why it won't start. I quit asking if they were going to try and figure that out. It's pointless to ask them anything.

LHM in Bountiful. Be afraid of the service dept. there...

- DAA

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I wasn't super happy with that same service dept when I took my '13 JK in with a bad tranny. It got fixed under warranty but the process took a real long time and when I took it home while they were waiting for parts I got bumped to the back of the line because it wasn't sitting in their lot gathering dust. I tried to pitch a fit but they didn't care. It drove but just didn't like going into 4th.

Good luck Dave.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Well, at least insurance is covering it and it didn't get totaled! Hopefully it all gets sorted out quickly Dave, this was heartbreaking news.... I've always loved your LJ!