Jeep in Mine Shaft at Five Mile Pass

lilsamiman

Stupid TV, be more funny!
Hey I heard that there is a Jeep or something in the bottom of one of the mines, on Rattlesnake or kinda in between. Anyone know if this is true and/or which mine.

Last edited:

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
If I remember correctly, it is the very large mine dump just before the turnoff to Con. It is probably 60-80 feet down, wedged in nose first, and the mine has a big grate over the top of it so people don't fall in. I think it's a Willys wagon.

EZ

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Not a wagon, it is a willy's pick up. My neighbor drove it down there, kind of an amazing story, he should be dead.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
I will have to talk to him again to get the details. The short story was that he and a buddy were out there cruising around in his built willy's truck. Came over a short hill (tailings), through a fence, and down into the mine. One of them was unconsious and trapped, the other was able to hold onto part of the fence that they drove through and use it like a ladder to climb out of the pit. He yelled for help and some one heard them. It took search and rescue along with life flight to get him out of the jeep. It was weeks (maybe months) recovering from it.

lilsamiman

Stupid TV, be more funny!
WOW, cool, kinda sucks though. Yeah when I was looking down there I saw a little glint of light, but alittle to dark to see. I guess I will try to see with a spotlight when it is dark outside.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
I talked to his mother today. I guess he was hours from hypothermia. It was a warmer day for a January, the accident happened around 2 in the afternoon, and he was not out until around 10:00. She says that the roll cage was build very nice, and the jeep had basically bounced from side to side down the shaft wtih the two guys inside the cage. That is a big part of what saved their lives.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
60-80 feet isn't very far for a decent camera, unless you want to read what something says. More importantly you would need a huge spot light, so you can see down there. I had a 3-D cell maglight the other day trying, and we couldn't see anything! The batteries aren't brand new, but they aren't dead either. But I have a good digital camera if someone has a good spot light! :)

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
When I was there about a year ago, you should see if it you just looked into the hole for a few minutes and gave your eyes time to adjust. It is pretty easy to make out the tail gate and see it is a truck, and to see the rear axle.
The top of the mine has been capped off with a cement footer, and a steel grate that you can walk over.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
What we were looking at was REAL far down this shaft and all you could see was a glimmer of something, like a pepsi can. You definately couldn't make out the axle and tailgate. It was light that day as well. Soo... Maybe we weren't looking in the right hole! :D We stopped at the one just after you exit RS on your way to CON, on your left before you get to the crossroads before the turn off to CON. Between the two ant hills...

taylorj123

The one your looking for is on the top of the ant hills, you can't miss them. There are two of them side by side, you can actually repell into the one next to it, it goes at about a 75* angle and there's a hole dug out on the side for you to crawl into, (sorry pointless info.) but anyways, the one with the jeep in it you can see down just fine, you can even tell what kind of an axle it is.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
taylorj123 said:
....you can even tell what kind of an axle it is.

Last time we saw it, it seemed to be a Dana 44. :)

Very intresting story as to how it got there, I always wondered. Thanks rusted!

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Meat_ said:
And why didn't they pull it out?

He went back after and got some parts out, and I guess his boss went a few days after and got some parts out. He said that it was super wedged in there from the fall, and would be tough to get out, and when it was out it would not be good for anything anyways.