Jeep stalling under hard acceleration ??

Nagrom

mattvw65 said:
i have a 91 4.0 5 speed.
when on the gas fairly hard 3000 + rpm. the while jeep lurches like it just dropped the tranny. then back fires and dies. pull over to the side of the road wait less than a min. it will start back up and im on my marry way. just as long as i do not open her up. i just got back from a 5000 + mile trip. drove the jeep to florida from utah. and no problems the whole time. was out side of evenston wyoming. when this started. seems to be getting worse. :wow:

matt
Is your check engine light on? If it is, or even if it is'nt try this trick:
http://4wheeldrive.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/dtc.html
I don't know for sure but my 96 XJ is doin the same thing and it turned out to be a couple of sensors. With this trick or w/ an OBD-II scanner you can see what your jeep is bitchin bout. Not sure if it will work on a 91 though?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member

MaGoo

take your jeep to a shop and have an emissions test done on it. it sounds like your are running a wee bit on the lean side to melt down the cat. chase the problems related to that

MaGoo

by the way,if the crank position sensor is bad, it flat wont run. check a chilton or haynes and it will give you the proper resistance reading to tell you if it is bad or not.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
MaGoo said:
by the way,if the crank position sensor is bad, it flat wont run. check a chilton or haynes and it will give you the proper resistance reading to tell you if it is bad or not.

I beg to differ...........my 4.0L ran like a total pile of junk until I replaced the fresh Autozone CPS with a dealer one........

metalry101

R/C addict
So it lurches eh? Mine did that to me too...turned out it was the battery cables. Both the positve and negative cables were so worn that the insulation was pretty much gone on both. They would sway around and when they hit each other, shut down the entire electrical system of the vehicle. Having that happen at 65 mph in very very busy traffic is absolutely TERRIFYING. Best of luck getting it fixed, whatever it turns out to be.