"Jeep Th400?"

scooter4life

www.4wheel4life.com
I have a Dodge/Crysler 360 motor bolted to a TH400 trans. This came out of a 76 Jeep CJ7. Except for the displacment, the motor is the same as the stock 304. I want to swap the motor for something with port fuel injection. Maybe even a 6 cylander. Does anyone know if there is a Chevy 6 cylander, or 350 that will bolt up to this trans. I was once told that the trans is likely a "Jeep TH400" and so would not match up to a Chevy motor. Any help would be appreiciated.

scooter4life said:
I have a Dodge/Crysler 360 motor bolted to a TH400 trans. This came out of a 76 Jeep CJ7. Except for the displacment, the motor is the same as the stock 304. I want to swap the motor for something with port fuel injection. Maybe even a 6 cylander. Does anyone know if there is a Chevy 6 cylander, or 350 that will bolt up to this trans. I was once told that the trans is likely a "Jeep TH400" and so would not match up to a Chevy motor. Any help would be appreiciated.

Sounds to me like you are dealing with the AMC 360 vs. a Dodge version, especially if the rig was originally a 304. A 76 CJ7 with a TH400 probably was/is oringally equipped with quadra-trac... is that the case on yours? All this being said... you probably have the standard AMC bell housing bolt pattern and about the best option for you is to find a junker TH400 4x4 Chev pattern case in the wrecking yard... shift your tranny's guts to it and then drop in whatever GM engine you prefer. You will have to fab some engine perches for the new engine.

HTH
-Adam