"Jeep Trail" to Murdock Peak in SL County

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Anyone remember this or know anything about its status?

USGS Maps (dating 1975) show this as a trail leading from the top of Millcreek Canyon (near Salamander Lake) to the basin below Murdock Peak (9602 Feet)

Anyone? Bobdog? Milner? Todd? Old-timers?

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
cruiseroutfit said:
Anyone remember this or know anything about its status?

USGS Maps (dating 1975) show this as a trail leading from the top of Millcreek Canyon (near Salamander Lake) to the basin below Murdock Peak (9602 Feet)

Anyone? Bobdog? Milner? Todd? Old-timers?

How old do you think I am?? Putting me in the same category as Todd! :mad: '75 I was 3!!
Never been open in my memory, I do remember my Dad talking about driving it....I have hiked it, long ago, looked to have remnants of 2 track....

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
First of all, you're in the wrong canyon. Salamander Lake is at the top of Lambs Canyon, not Millcreek. Murdock is on the divide between Millcreek and Lambs. There used to was (nice english) a road that went to the ridge at the top of millcreek, overlooking what is now the Canyons Ski area. As far as I'm concerned it is still driveable, but certainly closed. I have Mt. Biked down it, and much of it is still a two track or very wide single.

EZ

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
EZRhino said:
First of all, you're in the wrong canyon. Salamander Lake is at the top of Lambs Canyon, not Millcreek. Murdock is on the divide between Millcreek and Lambs. There used to was (nice english) a road that went to the ridge at the top of millcreek, overlooking what is now the Canyons Ski area. As far as I'm concerned it is still driveable, but certainly closed. I have Mt. Biked down it, and much of it is still a two track or very wide single.

EZ

Yup, thats the one, not sure why I mistook it for Millcreek, I was looking right at Lambs... :D

chevtech

Seasoned Mall Cruiser
EZRhino said:

EZ

Damn, I'm glad it was the wrong canyon! I thought I was losing my mind! I thought I had been in every single nook that Millcreek had to offer. I was sitting here going "Salamander Lake?!?" WTF?!?

;)

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
EZRhino said:

EZ

Don't know which/what all they names are :confused: , but my dad used to talk roads up there conecting the canyons....

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
I believe it was open in the 70s. there was a road that conected to it from the top of the milcreek pavement(desolation lake trail). In the early 90s there were sheephearders with a trailer and some old trucks pretty far down in to Millcreek.

Todd Adams

Grammy's Spotter
Not sure if I should reply to this after some of the remarks but I do have personal knowledge of this trail. It connected Millcreek with Lambs Canyon. It was closed by the FS around '75 or so. I might be a few years early. I drove my Scout quite a ways up from Millcreek around '71 or '72(I would guess 1/2 way) but was thwarted by a steep off camber section that would not deter me now. I did talk with some “real” old timers in (at that time) built Jeeps that passed me coming the other way. They indicated it was a great trail. I have often though of legal action to re open it but as you all know the FS does not acknowledge RS2477. At the time of the closure, my memory my be a bit faulty here but it was requested by the private landowners at the top of Lambs Canyon due to vandalism of their property.
Todd

Todd Adams

Grammy's Spotter
rckcrlr said:
:rofl:
Are you trying to make me feel bad for calling you old?

I am not old, just much wiser and having more experience. And I have kids older than you so respect your elders punk.

You are :D You drove it before I was even born.... :D

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Hey Cruiseroutfit,

I mountain biked this route on Saturday morning. The upper part of the trail (from the pass between "The Canyons" and Millcreek) is still easily done by a four wheeled vehicle. Much of it is a two track. However the section from about halfway down to the end of the paved canyon road is no longer in use, in other words they want it gone. All traffic from the upper trail is detoured onto the Big Water Gulch singletrack ( a very nice ride btw) and where the old road continued down is littered with logs and such. In other words they want that section of road to disappear.

EZ