Jeep Jeep XJ trac bar problems

01XJ

I have an adjustable trac bar on my 98 xj it just uses a standard tie rod end for the adjustment part that mounts to the frame side.

A few weeks ago it started to pop so i climbed under there to check it out as the wife turned the wheel and sure enough it was shot and making noise.

So i look up the part number on rustys off road site and run to autozone to get the replacement end I get it on and all is good for maybe a week and then it starts to pop again!

So i take it back for a warranty replacement put the new one on and tighten it to specs and grease it up and its been 2 weeks now and i will be damned its popping AGAIN:mad2:

So i take it out go get another put it in and it has been 4 friken days now and sure enough this one is shot also! I have torqued them to spec that didnt work so i cranked one down as tight as i could get it and that one still went bad i have done everything and they last 2 weeks at the most.

What should i look for? whats causing the problem? im sick of replacing these ends every week! Im stumped i have never seen or heard of anything like this before....

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
X3 on the Hiem instead of TRE you most likley are wearing them out fast due to a steep angle, TRE and constant steep angles dont mix well

XJEEPER

TRE on a trackbar was designed for a stock rig, in stock form.....which you are not.

You should be able to locate a heim the threads that match your Rusty's trackbar, then you'll simply need to drill out the taper on your frame side mount to accept the bolt to attach the heim.

You will also need high misalignment inserts for the heim, to allow for movement when the suspension flexes, as it will be mounted on a horizontal plane in a single shear configuration. I'd run nothing smaller than a 5/8" Grade 8 bolt here, so you'll need a 3/4" Heim. http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/34REPARTS.html

Ideally, you would replace/modify the trackbar frame mount so that the heim would be mounted vertically in a double shear config, which is stronger and more durable.

thenag

Ideally, you would replace/modify the trackbar frame mount so that the heim would be mounted vertically in a double shear config, which is stronger and more durable.

Yeah it is a pain, you gotta drop the steering and the track bar the same distance...

I don't know if the OP said how much lift he has. I just put on all this stuff from clayton... well it was included in the kit...

I haven't driven it but the theory seems good.

pitman arm
http://claytonoffroad.com/product_info.php/cPath/18_77/products_id/166

drop down track bar bracket and track bar (my track bar has a johnny joint on both ends)
http://claytonoffroad.com/product_info.php/cPath/18_78/products_id/347

nathan
--99 xj
build thread
http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?t=83436

01XJ

I guess i should have given more details on my Jeep. Its lifted 4.5" currently running a adjustable track bar from rusty's offroad and i am running a drop pitman arm on it already. Im not real familiar with the XJ front end as far as how everything is supposed to be aligned with each other etc. I will snap a pic today of what it looks like under there and maybe someone can chime in and let me know how it all looks and what if anything needs to be done. I have thought about running a drop bracket for the track bar but i read that they add stress to the frame and most of the time end up tearing off the frame? I replaced the TRE about 2weeks ago and its already shot again and i haven't even been offroad with it so its not getting any stress from flexing or anything like that. All i know is im fed up with this. I think i will order up a drop bracket and get a new bar that doesnt use a TRE and just have someone weld the bracket on along with it being bolted down.