Jeeper's New Travel Trailer: A Repair, Modify, and Upgrade thread.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
HELP!! Try as I may, I cannot get the new tube against the original frame tight enough to weld. I’ve got 1/8-1/4 gaps in many many places. The original frame is just too wavy.
I was trying to fill gaps, but it was very slow and used a TON of wire.

Can I brace the new tube to the frame like this??
2A4F202E-8416-4A90-BEA0-06EE4574F2F3.jpeg

Are there problems with doing this this way? Help my brain think. I’m to angry to think clearly.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
So I am 9 hours into the left side frame today 😫
That is a lot of neck strain and sore back to be tucked under the trailer sides.

Looking for some votes now.
My original plan was to just do a pair of moto rails to hold 2 bikes and call it good. Cheap, easy, effective, light weight.

But now I am thinking it would be a nice platform to hold generator, gas cans, or even a deck to sit on if the ground is muddy.

Should I do just the rails, or should I do a platform?

If I platform, should I go sheet of wood, wood dimensional lumber, expanded metal, diamond plate metal?

3678538D-72B8-4CF3-99DB-6B4535EC99E9.jpeg
BCF5209B-0083-42C6-8DB3-C85D25AEF4E9.jpeg

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I’m planning on doing new axles and springs, which I think will give me a few more inches.
Also, the driveway slopes up to my garage door, so it’s about 6” lower at the rear than the front is. I’ll pull it out to the street and see how it looks on level ground.

1969honda

Supporting Member
Aluminum with dimples definitely brings the race cred, but expanded metal is probably the easiest and most practical.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Can the deck be raised? Angle up after the original trailer frame?

I’m sure I can create a way to get it up more. We will see how it goes for a couple trips and see how needed it is. But it is way back there, so the departure angle is rough.
However, it’s just as long going in front of the axles.. so it’s not super capable no matter what.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
This was a happy little moment.
I intentionally made the rear bumper 8’6”, with the camper being just a hair more than 8’1”. This would give me just enough space on either side for a marker light that hopefully I could see to know where the back of the trailer was.
I had to move the trailer to get my truck into the shop.
The frame is slightly below the trailer box, so I can actually see about 5-6” of bumper on either side of the camper. I actually felt like I could back better with the extension because I could see the back for the first time!
D4DBFC55-C948-43D7-A973-FEBE380B5CF3.jpeg

I also got the tail gate done. I didn’t want to post the photo though, because it looks odd in every photo I take.. but I think it looks good IRL. 🤷🏼‍♂️

ABEE20BB-837A-4469-AC27-6C3C8C5BDD20.jpeg