Jetting/elevation question

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Hey everyone 😎 Just had a jetting question. So my brother an I are planning a trip to the Dumont Dunes California this month and I’m a little worried about jetting. I no longer have the efi Husky 501–I’m on a carbureted Kawasaki 450 now.

Love the bike! I have the JD kit (unsure what color needle) and she runs good here in Utah @4500+\- feet. Dumont however sits between 700 and 1200ft above sea level. Think I’m going to run into jetting issues? Should I take some jets with me? My carb is a royal nightmare to access so I don’t really want to do that in the sand if I can help it.

Thoughts? Thanks,

Andrew

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I would definitely richen it up. You may be fine on the needle to a certain point, but I would not be making that big of an elevation change and and ride the dunes without making the main bigger for wide open throttle.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Thanks fellas. I have some time before the trip maybe what I should do is pull my current main jet and take note of the size then get a handful that are a few steps bigger.

I ‘think’ I can change the main without too much trouble. Getting the needle out is another story lol. Not much room behind this ol’ frame..

3848FAFD-43D8-4752-8904-F8C24C5F6EE2.jpeg

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Oye! I went to gently loosen the main jet to check size and it snapped like a twig—doh!

Pulling the carb out of the bike was a huge pain but I think I can change mains (so long as they don’t break) without too much effort.

66984CAD-11D5-484F-AF36-04A0855754BC.jpeg

My main is a 160. I ordered up to 178 that should do it I think 😎

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
That klx450r is what year? 08?

I think it uses the same FCR carb as the Hondas of the time.
If you haven't already, wire the accelerator pump and it'll get rid of the mid range bog if you open the throttle super quick.
I was going to say 174-176 on the main. If it's not enough you can go out on the fuel screw.
Go up maybe up 4-6 on the idle.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
That klx450r is what year? 08?

I think it uses the same FCR carb as the Hondas of the time.
If you haven't already, wire the accelerator pump and it'll get rid of the mid range bog if you open the throttle super quick.
I was going to say 174-176 on the main. If it's not enough you can go out on the fuel screw.
Go up maybe up 4-6 on the idle.

Thanks for chiming in! Yes the bike is an 08 KLX450R with hardly any miles on it and it does have the FCR pumper carb.

PO added the JD jet kit it’s using the red needle (not sure clip position just yet) it also has the cool remote thumb screw for the fuel screw and the wired up accelerator pump 😎