JL or Bronco purchase in near future.

Pike2350

So I may have finally convinced the wife I to buying a JL or a Bronco. I rented a Gladiator for the weekend to see how I would like it because that is what I have been leaning towards but as much as it is fine, I don't think I can replace my F150 with it, without replacing my wife's car as well because I like our F150 for road trips with the room it provides and the quiet cabin... and can't see the Gladiator working for that. My wife has a '17 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport...but it isn't very quiet and room isn't great but not terrible....but if I bought a Gladiator and replaced my truck I would want her car to become the quiet road trip vehicle that can tow a trailer. So rather then replacing both cars she said she would be cool getting a JL or Bronco and keeping the truck.

With all that said we are leaning more towards the JL just due to it being better off road and used pricing is WAY better on the JL compared to a Bronco. I am sure the Bronco would work just fine for most of the trails I really plan to do and it would likely be a better DD for the wife, but the wife srives VERY minimaly due to working remote and JL's are better priced used so it is lead.

Which would you pick and why? 2nd question regarding the JL...what engine would you go for? My FiL has a 2020 JLUR with the 2L and loves it...but seeing it as a newer engine I am not sure on reliability. I know the 3.6L is everywhere and pretty well tested...and the JT I am renting, even with worn 37's feels peppy enough (likely not regeared).

So which way would you go? Budget will be sub $50k...shooting for under $45k I do plan on 37's and other basic upgrades...so if I can find one with some done...great.

I like the 2024 JL but not seeing used low enough to work...and new, even with the bigger discounts, the MSRP is so high they are still above $50k...and I can't justify that

Thoughts?

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
So I may have finally convinced the wife I to buying a JL or a Bronco. I rented a Gladiator for the weekend to see how I would like it because that is what I have been leaning towards but as much as it is fine, I don't think I can replace my F150 with it, without replacing my wife's car as well because I like our F150 for road trips with the room it provides and the quiet cabin... and can't see the Gladiator working for that. My wife has a '17 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport...but it isn't very quiet and room isn't great but not terrible....but if I bought a Gladiator and replaced my truck I would want her car to become the quiet road trip vehicle that can tow a trailer. So rather then replacing both cars she said she would be cool getting a JL or Bronco and keeping the truck.

With all that said we are leaning more towards the JL just due to it being better off road and used pricing is WAY better on the JL compared to a Bronco. I am sure the Bronco would work just fine for most of the trails I really plan to do and it would likely be a better DD for the wife, but the wife srives VERY minimaly due to working remote and JL's are better priced used so it is lead.

Which would you pick and why? 2nd question regarding the JL...what engine would you go for? My FiL has a 2020 JLUR with the 2L and loves it...but seeing it as a newer engine I am not sure on reliability. I know the 3.6L is everywhere and pretty well tested...and the JT I am renting, even with worn 37's feels peppy enough (likely not regeared).

So which way would you go? Budget will be sub $50k...shooting for under $45k I do plan on 37's and other basic upgrades...so if I can find one with some done...great.

I like the 2024 JL but not seeing used low enough to work...and new, even with the bigger discounts, the MSRP is so high they are still above $50k...and I can't justify that

Thoughts?
I'm pretty biased against Jeeps after all the issues I've had with them so I'd reccomend the Bronco, but they've had their issues too.

I'd avoid the 2.0l Jeep personally. I've know way too many people that have had lots of issues with that platform. Fairly sure that's the platform @DAA has had some trouble with too. The 3.6 seems to be the more reliable option for Jeep.

Reactions: DAA

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
My wife wants me to sell our gladiator, she misses our bronco. It is night and day better as a road driving vehicle. Way more interior room, steady handling, I would drive across the country in it without a second thought. If you don’t care so much about road manners then the JL is pretty awesome, way easier to run 37’s, better for building it for rock crawling. Probably keeping the jeep because it’s a custom job and not so easy to trade in, and I do like it, but the decision should be about what you want out of the second vehicle. If the f150 is your distance vehicle then you’re good to go with the wrangler.

rholbrook

MotorTrend just did a comparison. The Jeep took last, the Bronco took first. The Land Cruiser took second. Why they put that in with the other two is beyond me. I have owned both the new Bronco and a JK Rubicon. I ordered the new Bronco and decided I would see which one I liked better. The Bronco didn't make it in my personal cut but I didn't take it off road. I just didn't like how you couldn't see over the front as well as I could in my JK. The Bronco did run well and drive nice though.

Pike2350

My biggest concern with the Bronco is the tie rods and the expense up front. Finding a deal on a used Bronco is 45k+ and that is basically stock(well equipped but stock) where as a JL with lift, tires, winch can be had for that....or sub $40k stock for a JLUR.

So price comes into it. I think I need to rent a Bronco for a weekend and see how it is vs the JT (using that for my reference of a JL)

Ashcat

We have an ‘18 JLU, purchased new. 2.0L

Things we dislike:
A bunch of feep jags waive at me when I drive it.

Strapping a kid into a car seat absolutely sucks, wife needs a smock in the winter because the fender catches all the slush and there’s no way to stay clean, kiddo has zero leg room and you cannot hear a child in the back at highway speeds.

The high idle lasts ridiculously long. Super annoying to the point we’re over it and just neutral drop it.

Open the door after it rains, the amount of water trapped on the door will soak your seat. Not a drop, a flood.

Things we like:
It’s been a fine vehicle, regular maintenance and no issues.

Endless supply of rubber ducks for the bathtub.

Ashcat

You guys have a valid counter argument. 🤣

I don’t deal with it as much but wife travels North Dakota with it. Non stop wind. The constant huhs, whats, can’t hear you, speak up with a toddler makes her trip worse. Back seat is also very cold but we’re talking trips under 10* and sometimes subzero couple times a winter but even so local trips all winter long for grocery shopping in Minnesocold make it not a great vehicle.