Judge rebuffs Kane, Garfield claims on Grand Staircase-Escalante roads

Seth

These go to 11
Judge rebuffs Kane, Garfield claims on Grand Staircase-Escalante roads
By Patty Henetz
The Salt Lake Tribune

A federal judge has dismissed a lawsuit over land use in the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, ruling Kane and Garfield counties can neither can claim ownership of roads that crisscross the monument's 1.8 million acres nor expect the U.S. Bureau of Land Management to do so for them.
That's because the BLM doesn't have the power to make binding decisions on road ownership, U.S. District Judge Bruce Jenkins ruled Friday. Further, the counties haven't yet proved ownership under required "quiet title" action, the judge said, rendering their lawsuit premature.
The lawsuit filed last year affects the monument President Clinton created in 1996 under the federal Antiquities Act. It also has implications for the ongoing battle over mechanized access to wilderness-potential areas in Utah that has pitted environmental organizations seeking to conserve roadless areas against local officials who fear wilderness designation will harm their economies.
The counties "tried to overturn all the protections limiting . . . off-highway vehicle travel [in the monument] based on unsupported allegations without proof there were a bunch of highways out there, somewhere," Earthjustice attorney Ted Zukoski said Monday. "The judge said they have to prove each and every road."
Zukoski represented the Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance, which intervened as a defendant in the case along with the National Trust for Historic Preservation, the Sierra Club and the Wilderness Society. The counties filed the lawsuit against the U.S. Department of the Interior and the BLM, as well as agency principals.
Jenkins' ruling allows the counties to file an amended complaint within 20 days.
Kane County Commissioner Mark Habbeshaw said Monday he hadn't spoken to his county's attorney nor read the ruling, but expected a return to court either with an amended claim or an appeal.
Revised Statute 2477 is a Civil War-era mining law that allowed counties and cities to construct roads across federal land. The open-ended language was repealed three decades ago, but existing rights of way were grandfathered in.
Two years ago the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled state laws dictate how the road claims are to be decided. In Utah, the law says "existing" roads are those that had 10 years of continuous use and county maintenance before 1976. Continuous-use claims under quiet title actions now must be decided road by road in federal court.
But to litigate every road claim "would be overwhelmingly expensive to everybody, to us, to the federal court," Habbeshaw said. The county has 1,000 roads and each would cost at least $100,000 to take to court, he added.
Utah already has spent $12 million gathering evidence to help the counties prove their claims. "We don't have one road to show for that," Habbeshaw said.
Jenkins also dismissed the counties' claims they would be harmed if the monument plan doesn't loosen its restrictions on water diversions for agriculture or commercial use. The judge said the BLM has yet to act on a Kane County water-district request the agency heard in January, so the claim is premature.

Original Article

Don B

formerly rebarguy
I'll see if I can get some real information from Mark.

Reading thru the spin, road ownership was not determined in this case. It said that BLM cannot make that decision, which will leave the RS2477 claims up in the air, but BLM can not close them.

Probably not as bad as the Trib and Gang Green try to make it out to be.

$12 million dollars over how long and to what counties? Is the state handing out small amounts of money to temporarily appease counties and activists who are trying to make RS2477 claims? Geez, it seems that much more could have been done if they had put $12 million into a commercial or non-profit group to do the research and build the cases. Is there a SP&R Grant for this? Because USA-ALL and I would take the $12 million and get this done.

Don B

formerly rebarguy
Nah Steve, People on the state and county level have put in years of work documenting RS2477 claims and pushing things through the Federal Courts. The problem is that a lot of judges are very biased towards the enviros side.

There is no way that USA-ALL could match the thousands of hours of on the ground research done, our match what Mark Habbeshaw and other individuals have done pushing this through the Courts.

These people that have put their butt's on the line, need our support. Not cheap shots like this one.

If this is USA-All's position, I am pulling my Club and myself from USA-ALL as of right now.

Last edited:

Don B

formerly rebarguy
I don't think so.. I think it's just the enviros have such a loud voice...

There are judges such as Tena Campbell that will always side with SUWA no matter what, then it's a matter of having the decision overturned in a higher court.

You're dealing here with fighting federal bureaucrats in federal courts that have unlimited time and money. It's not easy to do this and win, but Mark Habbeshaw and Kane County along with help from the State have gone a long way. Anyone who thinks USA-ALL could do a better job doesn't have a clue as to what's involved.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
There are judges such as Tena Campbell that will always side with SUWA no matter what, then it's a matter of having the decision overturned in a higher court.

You're dealing here with fighting federal bureaucrats in federal courts that have unlimited time and money. It's not easy to do this and win, but Mark Habbeshaw and Kane County along with help from the State have gone a long way. Anyone who thinks USA-ALL could do a better job doesn't have a clue as to what's involved.

Possibly, but I bet if the people that use these areas had as loud of voice as the enviros, I bet the closures would go down or even cease. Because then the judges that are biased/have agendas won't be elected.

Nah Steve, People on the state and county level have put in years of work documenting RS2477 claims and pushing things through the Federal Courts. The problem is that a lot of judges are very biased towards the enviros side.

There is no way that USA-ALL could match the thousands of hours of on the ground research done, our match what Mark Habbeshaw and other individuals have done pushing this through the Courts.

These people that have put their butt's on the line, need our support. Not cheap shots like this one.

If this is USA-All's position, I am pulling my Club and myself from USA-ALL as of right now.

I was just pointing out that private industry can sometimes do things that a governmental effort cannot. I'm definitely not trying to downplay the efforts and work already done by the counties. Maybe I misinterpreted Mark's quote, and took it too literally.

You are right that there are judges prejudiced against our cause, but there are ways around everything including biased courts. It's not easy, but we can win. It just takes money, as we all know.

You know me, I'm tactless and always searching for the answer to this problem. I never intend to deride the hard work that has already been put into this fight. I want to find the "missing piece" to take this fight the last mile.

Last edited:
I'm sure you would

You misquoted me there, and put that period in to make it look like I said something different.

The way I look at it is that if X amount of effort has been expended and a job isn't done, then we need to start looking at new ways to do the job or new ways to assist the guys already working on the problem.

I'm not sure if you're trying to take a shot, or just making a joke or what.

Last edited:

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
Wow lots a rippin' on Steve. I fully understand where Steve is coming from here. 12 million is a lot of money, and what is there to show for it?

I understand where rebarguy (Don Black) is coming from. I called him and talked about it. We were both misinterpreting various comments. I have nothing but admiration and respect for all the guys and gals who have been working so hard on these issues. I only want to offer my assistance.

Don B

formerly rebarguy
I want to make it clear that I was not intending any rippin' on Steve, I have nothing but respect for everything he has been able to accomplish so far.

I do think it is a mistake to discount the battles being waged by the counties and state. There have been some real important victories won that have forced changes in policy by the Fed's It's important that we have the publics support and see it through to the end.