K&N airfilters

twigboy

ok i got a full K&N system for my 99 tacoma about a month ago and now the mass air flow gets the filter oil on it and makes my check engine light comes on. so i just wanted to know if anyone has had the same problem and what they have done to fix it?

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
twigboy said:
ok i got a full K&N system for my 99 tacoma about a month ago and now the mass air flow gets the filter oil on it and makes my check engine light comes on. so i just wanted to know if anyone has had the same problem and what they have done to fix it?

While it is a common problem you can keep your K&N--You just have to be precautious. Hang it on a coat hanger after you oil it and let it "drip dry" for a while. As for the oil on your MAF now, not to worry, just hit it with some brake clean and be on your way. If it's completely doused in oil you can carefully clean it with a Q-tip. B

wr250

insert lame comment
anvil said:
That's a common problem. Buy an AC Delco filter or whatever it came with from the factory.

agreed.
i dont recommend k&n for offroad use. seen to many destroyed engines running k&n filters; esp atv/motorcycle. k&n may flow more air, but it flows more dirt too. the MAF is the restrictor in a Toyota, not the air filter/airbox (the exhaust manifold is the other).

Last edited:

anvil

If there was a benefit to be gained by oiled cotton air filters Toyota, Gm, Ford and everyone else would be doing it. Does anyone know of a vehicle that came stock with this type of filter?

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
anvil said:
If there was a benefit to be gained by oiled cotton air filters Toyota, Gm, Ford and everyone else would be doing it. Does anyone know of a vehicle that came stock with this type of filter?

There are proven benefits with the KandNs. There may also be downsides. The OEMs do not use the best parts available. There are thousands of aftermarket parts that provide performance gains over the stock stuff. There are no cars or trucks that can not be made better with aftermarket parts. Stock airbox/filter setups are one area proven to be perfornance limiters. OEMs often make low noise a priority over airflow.

anvil

bobdog what are the proven benefits? I'd love to see some proof. I've read tons of magazine articles and advertisements, but I just consider them hype. I agree that the aftermarket has improvements for all kinds of stuff, but I don't know if that's true in the case of air filters. I'm talking the filter only, not the rest of the intake system. I've used K&N filters in the past without problems, but I can't say I saw any improvements either. I've gone back to using AC Delco until I see some real proof.

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
I run a K&N on my quad. Every time I clean the filter, there is dirt in the intake side of the carb. And not a small amount either. I know it allows more dirt into the motor, but it is a heavily modified 2 stroke that flows alot of air. It also happens to be about $150 and a few hours work to rebuild the top end, so I'm not too worried about it.

My personal opinion about K&N's is that they flow like crazy, but have a marginal ability to filter out fine dust. If you aren't worried about engine longevity, and use a modified engine at high RPM's consistently than this is definately the filter for you.

I ran one in my Bronco II for a few years, and just like the quad I would find dirt inside the air intake tube. After switching back to FRAM stuff, there was alot less dirt getting past the filter. I will never again run a K&N filter on a daily driver, because 1-5 HP at redline is not worth sucking dirt into my motor. Paying $50 or more to shorten the life of my engine and only getting marginal performance gains sounds like a rather foolish idea.

Jared

Meat_

Banned
ahhh the good ole "sure K&N filters better, but it lets more dirt through" idea surfaces again :rolleyes:

James K said:
that seems to contradict what K&N advertises.:confused:

I have K&N's on my truck, jeepster and atv and have yet to see any negative effects. The key is not to over oil it.

James K said:
That is an interesting test.

but isn't it coincidental that that people who wanted the independent test, won the test.:D

Exactly, but make sure to believe the crapped together webpage hosted on some guys personal account... cause everything you see on the net is true ;)

Problems with a K&N filter can be measured the idiot behind the spray can.

Caleb

James K said:
I have yet to find dirt inside ANY of my K&N's.

yep, I've always had K&Ns on all my vehicles (except for my jetta, they don't make one for it) and have never had a problem with dirt getting through. I have also always noticed a SLIGHT increase in fuel mileage, usually <.5 mpg but it's there. We also used them on all of our four-wheelers (about 40 of them) that I used to maintain and I have never seen anything more than you see with the factory parts (these machines were ridden hard, usually several hundred miles a day pulling or carrying several hundred pounds in addition to the driver in some nasty, dirty, dusty, climates (west shore of the GSL)

Last edited:

Caleb

to answer the question at hand :D my buddy had the same problem with his 99 F150. I took a look at it, re-charged it and the problem never came back. I'd have to agree with Meat that it's likely the person at the end of the spray can. Like Brandon mentioned, let it dry thoroughly (hang it up) before putting it in. (despite what the instructions say)

wr250

insert lame comment
James K said:
that seems to contradict what K&N advertises.:confused:

I have K&N's on my truck, jeepster and atv and have yet to see any negative effects. The key is not to over oil it.

i would run a dual density foam air filter (and properly oil it) if i were to buy one. i ride dirt bikes in the desert, often in a giant dust cloud. never seen any dirt get by my uni or OEM filter on it. i have seen numerous atv/mc engines that would have been far better off with the stock filter.IMO k&n is a waste of money, and leaves dirt in the intake tract (seen it,even with proper oiling so i dont believe k&n's marketing dept), with marginal performance gains. as stated, in a toyota, the restriction is in the MAF and exhaust system.so bigger TB is a waste of money as well (unless the MAF is altered or replaced with a better item)

if you believe all the advertising hype you see, then i have oceanfront property in arizona for sale.

Last edited:

anvil

A few tenths of a MPG gain is huge! If an OEM could get that with a filter I think they would be all over it.

I guess this discussion will never get anywhere because none of us have the ability to make an actual measurement of airflow, or filtering capability.

but isn't it coincidental that that people who wanted the independent test, won the test.

AC Delco won...They didn't want the test?

I'm still happy to wheel with anyone using a K&N. Just don't ask to borrow my spare quart of oil for your filter.:D

Coincidentally I'll sell a dirty old 14"x3" K&n for $10.00

James K

NO, I'm always like this
wr250 said:
i would run a dual density foam air filter (and properly oil it) if i were to buy one. i ride dirt bikes in the desert, often in a giant dust cloud. never seen any dirt get by my uni or OEM filter on it. i have seen numerous atv/mc engines that would have been far better off with the stock filter.IMO k&n is a waste of money, and leaves dirt in the intake tract (seen it,even with proper oiling so i dont believe k&n's marketing dept), with marginal performance gains. as stated, in a toyota, the restriction is in the MAF and exhaust system.so bigger TB is a waste of money as well (unless the MAF is altered or replaced with a better item)

if you believe all the advertising hype you see, then i have oceanfront property in arizona for sale.

well, I guess since it happen to you then I should stop doing what works for me:rolleyes:

and what do you think advertising is exactly??????????................its hype you can choose to believe what you want, and if the K&N concept is so bad then why is it when there exclusive right to produce filters the way they do was up, that others came out with ther own line (Accel Kool Blue, some other company that has green ones and also Barry Grant (believe they are yellow)). It boils down to, use what works for you.

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I swear by K&N, one of the best things I did to my 6.5L GM was a K&N filter. I have ran them on my sand toys for a very long time and from my personal experiance with them I would run a sand sock (filter skin, outerwear, or whatever you want to call them) for offroad use, and the drip dry method is a must! Hope you figure it out I have always been very happy with them.