Kane sues to get Hole in the Rock, other roads

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
SUWA would oppose county ownership of Hole-in-the-Rock road, McIntosh said, because paving or widening the route could affect primitive recreation areas on either side of it. Federal ownership, she added, doesn’t threaten continued access.

“It’s obviously a route with a long history of use,” she said. “BLM hasn’t closed it. We’ve never tried to close it. Nobody I know has ever tried to close it.”

Of course SUWA knows better than the county... and how generous of them not to close this ro.. wait, SUWA closes roads? :rofl:

The arrogance is overwhelming.

Don B

formerly rebarguy
So Federal ownership doesn't threaten continued access????????

Right... Can we say; Canaan Mtn., Paria Canyon, Junes Bottom, etc.etc.etc.....
These were also routes with an obvious long history of use.

Also, I've never heard of any plans to pave or widen Hole in the Rock or any other of the county "B" roads. The "scope" of the ROW also has to be considered. You could not make any major changes beyond what the road was in 1976 without permission of the Feds even with an adjudicated ROW.

Last edited:

Kirk

The mail drop is closed? Last I heard they just were going to close the last 50 yards..... How much of it is closed, and how long ago did it happen? I "think" we were there this spring...

Samuraiman

Sand Pile
Twist 12 miles BLM most in wilderness now. Mail Drop is closed about 1 mile from overlook. Red Mtn 8 miles. BLM The St George BLM office is in the middle of implementing the RMP before it's ever been completed. Including staging areas and closures of the Red Mtn Trail which is obviously not even being considered as a motorized route. They have already posted fenced it and closed it. I have been in there no less than ten times in the last 8 yrs for searches. I am sure the next area of closure will be La Verkin twist and the shooting range area. Not to mention Caanan and the new gate and fence that has already been ripped of the hinges. They make sure they keep it under 50 grand so they don't have to do all the necassary studies on the project. The BLM has signs all over Washington County Stating YOUR PUBLIC LANDS administered by St George Field office. They need to build six foot chain link and razor wire up with KEEP OUT signs around them. Oh and I am about sick of the SUWA commercials promoting wilderness on all the local channels lately.

Last edited: