Kennecott Copper Mine Roads

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Anyone know if there are any dirt roads that go up and around the mine? Maybe one that would give us a view into the mine?

Thanks,
Josh.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I'd think that the surrounding hills are all private property.. I can't imagine that they'd let you drive up there on your own.

4554x4

always modifing something
Hope its still open

Can't really get anywhere near it.

Has something changed? You used to be able to drive up Butterfield canyon untill you meet the road from Tooele. It then branches off and goes higher, untill you can look right into the pit. The turnoff is very obvious, if you continue west, you begin a steep descent towards Tooele.

Keep us posted about the road if you go. Its a very nice drive that can be made in a car.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Butterfield is still a go. It overlooks the pit very well at the top, plus it's free:D

Caleb

Yep, head up Butterfields, when you reach the top area, take the road that head to the North/Northwest. It'll take you right to the top overlooking the pit. I'm not 100% positive but I think the road is a county road, and I know the property on either side of the road is privately owned so be respectful and stay on the road.

Yep, head up Butterfields, when you reach the top area, take the road that head to the North/Northwest. It'll take you right to the top overlooking the pit. I'm not 100% positive but I think the road is a county road, and I know the property on either side of the road is privately owned so be respectful and stay on the road.

yes the rd is a county rd kennecott owns everything around it so staying on the rd is a good thing.

SWALLDOG

the visitor center is kinda cool. we had some shovles loading some haul trucks right there for a while so it was a pretty good view. i'm not sure about some of the roads up butterfield. pretty sure most of it is private. but those roads will lead you right down in to the pit if you dont know where your going. every once and a while we will get a dirt biker get lost and end up driving around on the haul roads, scares the drivers. :eek: or maybe they are just looking for a rush dodging haul trucks the size of a house! :greg:

SWALLDOG

JUST FOR FUN!

here is a cat 793D haul truck tanken fron the top of another haul truck. there is a mechanic at the back left tire pulling some lug bolts. hes standing on a 4ft platform. :rofl:

793D.jpg

Damin

Formerly jakeypoobear
yep thats what i need to pull my rig. I'm sure that would work just fine! whats the cost on one of those kitty cat anyways 20k-30k?? :D

SWALLDOG

yep thats what i need to pull my rig. I'm sure that would work just fine! whats the cost on one of those kitty cat anyways 20k-30k?? :D

little more than that. the Komatsu are like 3 million and i think the cats are like 4 mill! :rofl: more than i got for sure! and with a fleet of like 80 trucks between the cats and komatsu you can imagine what kind of coin kennecott is makin! :greg:

Damin

Formerly jakeypoobear
Butterfield is still a go. It overlooks the pit very well at the top, plus it's free:D

not only does it over look the pit but im pretty sure you can see wendover, idaho, and nephi if your there on a clear day.. just go up butternut canyon and when the paved road ends take a right up the dirt road. theres no real wheeling and last time i was up there i drove an Audi.

Damin

Formerly jakeypoobear
little more than that. the Komatsu are like 3 million and i think the cats are like 4 mill! :rofl: more than i got for sure! and with a fleet of like 80 trucks between the cats and komatsu you can imagine what kind of coin kennecott is makin! :greg:

:eek: im in the wrong business

so what will 20k buy me.. a tire :)

Last edited:

SWALLDOG

:eek: im in the wrong business

so what will 20k buy me.. a tire :)

yeah thats about right! i think we get them for like 16 grand cuz we have a contract w michelin, what i've heard.

so i was just asking one of the guys here at work who knows the butterfields and he was saying the on the one side of the road is all tooele and the other salt lake county bought it from kennecott like last year. he was also telling me that there are some spots with some good wheelin up there. not trying to disagree with ya jakeypoobear cuz i've never been up there. plus the guy i was talking to might not know what real wheelin is anyways! :rofl:

ALF

SURE!?
JUST FOR FUN!

here is a cat 793D haul truck tanken fron the top of another haul truck. there is a mechanic at the back left tire pulling some lug bolts. hes standing on a 4ft platform. :rofl:

793D.jpg

Pictures don't do these things justice you need to stand next to them to really appreciate their size:D

ALF

SURE!?

yes and its fun spending the money on them;) What do you do for KUCC?