KTM 250xc and the KTM300xc

jentzschman

Ok, I have been scouring the net for information on dirt bikes.

I have been looking on KTMtalk and people there think that the 300xc is way too much bike for a new biker. They suggest a 250xc and then when I get use to that, add the 300 upper kit.

For those who have been riding for a long time, could I please get your input on this subject?

I know caleb loves his 300xc, but I don't want to get in over my head either with a new bike.

I plan on riding AFC and 5MP areas the most at the beginning, but will go to the dunes and pretty much any area I can find.

Caleb

This is the same thing I sent you in a pm just now, but the 250 is more traditional 2 stroke. Meaning to get to the power, you need to ride it high in the rpm range. If you're just starting out, that can get you in to trouble on the tight single track trails. The 300 will tear your arms off if you ride it high in the RPM range, but you can also ride it in anywhere in the RPM range (like a 4 stroke) and still make awesome power.

rholbrook

Get the 300. You have low end grunt and the availability of being able to twist the throttle for all the power you would want. If you don't want the power don't twist the throttle as much. If your riding a CBR600, your not a beginner even if you have never been in the hills. You know what it feels like to get your arms stretched.

jentzschman

Get the 300. You have low end grunt and the availability of being able to twist the throttle for all the power you would want. If you don't want the power don't twist the throttle as much. If your riding a CBR600, your not a beginner even if you have never been in the hills. You know what it feels like to get your arms stretched.

Ya, guess you are right. Never really considered that.. And ya, I know what it feels like to open up a bike! That cbr took off!

sixstringsteve

I think you'll want the 300. I'm not an amazing rider, and I can ride Caleb's 300 just fine (aside from my short legs). I really really like Caleb's bike, it's my favorite bike I've ever ridden.

Cascadia

Undecided
Caleb, this is just a question but if your 300 was going to see a lot of street time do you think it would be a good bike for around town or higher speeds or would you get a different bike? If your bike was going to see 50% road time would you get a 2 stroke or 4 stroke?

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Hmm. I'd say get whatever you can find for the best deal. I haven't been on the newest 300's but I have rode a lot of the the older ones which don't differ a whole lot engine wise (I could be wrong). While they do have lots of power they all were very user friendly and have a very predictable power band. If anything I'd start with a 200 and later move to a 250/300.

The only thing I've heard that doesn't favor the 300 is cooling. Some of the more competitive riders I've talked to claimed the 300 overheats easier than the 250 in very technical slow moving terrain. I'll bet 95% of riders never have issues--I never had problems with mine.

A Rekluse would do wonders for a beginner as well :cool: You won't regret a 300 as long as your set on that genre of dirt bike. There are few if any that top it.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
The only thing I've heard that doesn't favor the 300 is cooling. Some of the more competitive riders I've talked to claimed the 300 overheats easier than the 250 in very technical slow moving terrain. I'll bet 95% of riders never have issues--I never had problems with mine.

The 300 does tend to run warm but you can rig up an over flow bottle that resides in the airbox to catch the expanding coolant. I have never had a problem with my 300 over heating under slow trail or tight racing conditions. If you are going to get a 300 I would stick to an 06 or newer.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I think 10 or 11.....I am not sure. Under most circumstances you wont need the 6th gear unless you are going to street legal it. In a couple of desert races, I have found myslef wishing that I had one more gear but that is only when running roads.

Caleb

Caleb, this is just a question but if your 300 was going to see a lot of street time do you think it would be a good bike for around town or higher speeds or would you get a different bike? If your bike was going to see 50% road time would you get a 2 stroke or 4 stroke?

Well, I think it would do as well as any other hi-performance offroad bike for street use. The biggest downside (IMO) for street use is if you're low on fuel, you're screwed...or you're stopping at the hardware store buying some oil to mix to get yourself home or to your truck :D Up side is the wear and tear on a two stroke is tons cheaper to replace/repair. Example, rebuild a top end on a 2 stroke, couple hundred buck, same for a four stroke, probably a grand atleast.

The 300 does tend to run warm but you can rig up an over flow bottle that resides in the airbox to catch the expanding coolant. I have never had a problem with my 300 over heating under slow trail or tight racing conditions. If you are going to get a 300 I would stick to an 06 or newer.

I agree. I had more problems with heat on my 450x than I ever have on my 300. I've rode the same trails (and then some) and only a few times has the bike gotten hot enough for me to notice (up hobble creek was one time).

I think 10 or 11.....I am not sure. Under most circumstances you wont need the 6th gear unless you are going to street legal it. In a couple of desert races, I have found myslef wishing that I had one more gear but that is only when running roads.

I agree completely. The missing 6th gear is one of the main reasons I didn't want to go with the XC. After having an XC, I can count the number of times I've wanted another gear on one hand.

The reality is for on-road riding, despite how great it sounds, it sucks on a dirt bike. They weigh so little and their road manners suck so bad that any kind of real speed on-road can be a bit terrifying...especially if there's on-coming traffic (especially semis) involved. The most scared I've ever been on a dirt bike was riding I-80 from Delle to Magna on my Husky 610 :D If I keep my bike, I still plan to plate it, but that's only for connecting trails, riding in National Parks, etc. I wouldn't ever consider taking off from my house to go ride a trail unless the trail was only a couple miles away. On my 610, I did ride from my house numerous times to go ride (5-mile, AFC, Soldiers Pass, Israel Canyon, etc) and I was always so stressed just getting there that by the time I got to where I wanted to ride, I was ready for a nice long break...then I had to ride home too :p

Cascadia

Undecided
The most scared I've ever been on a dirt bike was riding I-80 from Delle to Magna on my Husky 610 :D If I keep my bike, I still plan to plate it, but that's only for connecting trails, riding in National Parks, etc. I wouldn't ever consider taking off from my house to go ride a trail unless the trail was only a couple miles away. On my 610, I did ride from my house numerous times to go ride (5-mile, AFC, Soldiers Pass, Israel Canyon, etc) and I was always so stressed just getting there that by the time I got to where I wanted to ride, I was ready for a nice long break...then I had to ride home too :p
The most scared I ever was on a bike was on 215 going from provo center street to 8th north in orem. I ended up only making it one exit to university parkway and getting off. I was scared the semi behind me would crunch me or the one passing me would blow me over.:eek: