KTM 85 SX

rholbrook

I am not a KTM guy so I don't know anything about these bikes. My son is needing a new bike and I have it narrowed down between a CRF150RB Expert "Big Wheel" or a KTM 85 SX Big Wheel.

My question is this....how well would the KTM be in the mountains and on single track? I am worried that it it would not have enough bottom end compared to a 150R. Whichever bike we go with, it will get a Rekluse, I am just worried that the KTM's power will either be ON or OFF. I know the Rekluse will help a bunch as will a FWW but I am concerned about where and how that power comes on. I really doubt he will race on an mx track but he is a descent rider and I like the idea of the KTM being 150 lbs dry vs the Honda's 187 lbs dry.

Any thoughts or experience with the KTM. We know what we will get with the 150R because his buddy has one and he has spent time on that one and it works great.

sixstringsteve

it's very similar to a kx80. If you want low-end, I'd go for a sx 105 (a bit more bottom end, similar to a kx100).

Jesser04

Why not a 125 two stroke of a 250 four stroke? Seems like he is at the age where either of those bikes he will out grow in 12-18 months. Trace's brother has a 2012 rm 250 he is selling.

Last edited:

rholbrook

it's very similar to a kx80. If you want low-end, I'd go for a sx 105 (a bit more bottom end, similar to a kx100).

KTM makes the 105 kit but you cant buy one new nor can you get a Bike Wheel option anymore. I will look in to the big bore kit.

Why not a 125 two stroke of a 250 four stroke? Seems like he is at the age where either of those bikes he will out grow in 12-18 months. Trace's brother has a 2012 rm 250 he is selling.
Harrison is only 5" and 93 lbs. I am not ready to let him kill himself yet. I am will to give him a year or two before we move him to a 250 4 stroker. He barely touches on a 150RB and the KTM is even a little taller than that.