KTM sells * to GasGas

MattL

Fun stuff
[video]http://transmoto.com.au/ktm-sells-italian-husqvarna-engine-technology-gas-gas/[/video]

Wonder why.

B2-Bomber

the best thing that could have happened to Husky was KTM buying them. The technology was fine, but their manufacturing was inconsistent and shoddy.
I deal with it every day for work

you can take 3 husky bikes of the same year, and same model, and measure the width between the rear brake rotor, and sprocket, and you can get 3 different measurements varying up to 7.5mm total. it makes for hell for us in the motorcycle wheel business. we have to literally ask all Husky customers to measure their rear hub, and we will build it to their spec.

their engines leak in the crate

hopefully gas-gas can do something better with their engine tech.

Last edited:

SpeedyVic

My guess is that KTM just decided to get rid of a headache that was more than likely dragging down their bottom line. From the artcile you linked, it sounds like KTM is keeping the Husqy brand and is only getting rid of the engine design and engineering. So the future Husqy bikes might come with a KTM powerplant.

Anyway, here is an article that came out about the purchase by KTM last year. Could lend some insight.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
There was a time when I thought Husky made a pretty decent DOHC 4T. Up to about 08? I came close to buying a TXC450 a few times and kinda wish I would have. I hope it works out well for GG. I know they ran a DRZ topend for a few years I'm not sure what happened to that--seemed like a good bike.

the best thing that could have happened to Husky was KTM buying them

I agree 100%. Cagiva probably kept the name alive but I though BMW was going to end it for good toward the end :-\

B2-Bomber

Yep, ktm is dropping the Husaberg name, and then calling them "Husqvarna", all the while dropping the Husky designs entirely. the husabergs were already just yellow KTMs anyway. now the "H" logo will just look different

this month's transworld motocross showed up yesterday. it lists the differences between the husky, and the ktm. from what I can tell only colors changed.