Ladies carry pistol?

DAA

Supporting Member
Cindy has a birthday coming up soon and wants a pistol.

I'm not very up on pistols. Always been a rifle guy. Have never even bothered to get a CCW. And haven't carried in many years. Way back when I did carry all the time, my main criteria were that it couldn't be traced back to me and that I wouldn't feel bad throwing it in the Jordan river after using it. Those are still my positions. I just don't ever feel the need to carry anymore and haven't for a long time. Which, is a very good thing.

But I need to pick one for Cindy. I'll probably get one for me too, so we can go through the permit bullshit together, I guess. Since buying a handful of suppressors I'm on all the lists already anyway. So, WTF I guess... For mine, I'm still going to want one that can't be traced back to me and I won't feel bad throwing in the Jordan river. I already know what I need and how to get it. But for her, I want to get her one that is great for the application. Womens concealed carry. And I trust you guys way more than Google for assistance in that decision. Budget not a concern.

Inundate me with your thoughts and opinions please!

- DAA

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose

DesertRam

If she wants an active safety, a baby 1911 clone is hard to beat. My wife carries a Sig P238 Scorpion in .380 and is awfully good with it. The P938 is the comparably sized 9mm, but the slide is much harder for little hands to work, hence our choice of the .380. Before that she shot a Walter PPK/S, but it's a bear for her to operate, so no dice now.

For striker fired, the Sig or Ruger options mentioned above are worth looking at, as is one the baby Glocks.

Reactions: DAA

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Brian is a liar, no pistol has ever been designed that surpasses Gaston's.
I have shot and carried about a dozen compact and subcompact pistols. When I say I've shot them, I mean over 1k rounds per model. I have yet to find one that is easier to shoot than the Sig P365 in any of it's flavors. My main carry guns are a Glock 43x MOS with an optic and shield arms 15 rnd magazines and a Sig P365 with a Wilson Combat X frame with makes it a P365X. To be honest, I can shoot the Sig better than the Glock, by a margin.

I think you should at least let her shoot a P365X in 9mm, they are magic. They just don't have any of the muzzle flip you get with almost any other subcompact. There is no measurable reduction in recoil between that pistol and any of the 380's I've personally shot.

I personally would not carry a baby 1911 or buy one for my wife to carry. They are cute and they feel so good in your hand but..... They are not as reliable as a striker fired pistol, they are heavy and they have an external safety which only adds complexity and no safety. Carry guns should only have a round in the chamber if they are in a good holster on your body. In that case, there is zero chance of accidental discharge so why add another safety you have to remember to disengage when it counts? I've bet my most prized position on the safety of a striker fired pistol pointed at it with a round chambered for thousands of hours.

boogie_4wheel

How will she carry the pistol? Holster on body, regular purse, conceal carry purse?

My wife has a S&W Airweight 38 Model 638 for purse carry. You get the simplicity because it's a revolver, and it can be fired inside a carry purse (but an auto loader cannot action to guarantee the next round).

The grip sucks out of the box even for smaller hands in my opinion. $30 Amazon whatever-the-brand replacement grips solved that issue and turned it into a very comfortable and secure feel for both of us.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I picked this one up for Amy on her birthday a couple months ago. The thing that was important for her was the very easy slide due to her hand injury. She had a hard time charging any of my pistols so that was a huge selling point on this one. We went with the .380 model as well.

This pistol is actually pretty nice to hold and shoot. The narrow single stack conceals nicely on the ladies as well.

The slide is so light and butter smooth I still wonder how it cycles each time. It's pretty wild. You'd have to get one in your hands to feel it.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
My favorite carry is this stupid little thing. It’s only 5 shot, but can be thrown at the head for a 6th. It’s cheap and guaranteed not to float in a body of water, and it doesn’t care if it’s packed with lint. It’s the most comfortable carry I’ve ever used. Taurus Ultralite .38 caliber.

IMG_8160.jpeg

Westernhunter

Brian is a liar, no pistol has ever been designed that surpasses Gaston's.
I have shot and carried about a dozen compact and subcompact pistols. When I say I've shot them, I mean over 1k rounds per model. I have yet to find one that is easier to shoot than the Sig P365 in any of it's flavors. My main carry guns are a Glock 43x MOS with an optic and shield arms 15 rnd magazines and a Sig P365 with a Wilson Combat X frame with makes it a P365X. To be honest, I can shoot the Sig better than the Glock, by a margin.

I think you should at least let her shoot a P365X in 9mm, they are magic. They just don't have any of the muzzle flip you get with almost any other subcompact. There is no measurable reduction in recoil between that pistol and any of the 380's I've personally shot.

I personally would not carry a baby 1911 or buy one for my wife to carry. They are cute and they feel so good in your hand but..... They are not as reliable as a striker fired pistol, they are heavy and they have an external safety which only adds complexity and no safety. Carry guns should only have a round in the chamber if they are in a good holster on your body. In that case, there is zero chance of accidental discharge so why add another safety you have to remember to disengage when it counts? I've bet my most prized position on the safety of a striker fired pistol pointed at it with a round chambered for thousands of hours.
This is the best advice here. The last paragraph is spot on.

DesertRam

I personally agree with you. However, my wife refuses to carry a pistol without an active safety. I'd rather she have a pistol with a safety than no pistol at all, so baby 1911 it is, at least for her. That little Sig has proven to be very reliable, she shoots it accurately, she can manipulate all the controls even with RA, and most importantly, she is comfortable with the pistol and will carry it. And it's not nearly as heavy as that old PPK/S! That things a chunk of steel!

I'm an XD guy and carry an XDs in .45 ACP, typically appendix carry.

Reactions: DAA

J-mobzz

I bought myself a Ruger LC9s to keep in my van full-time and the gentleman helping me asked me if I was buying it for a lady friend. Haha I don’t know that I would recommend it over anything that’s been suggested, but I feel like that was his way of informing me I was buying a woman’s gun.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I bought myself a Ruger LC9s to keep in my van full-time and the gentleman helping me asked me if I was buying it for a lady friend. Haha I don’t know that I would recommend it over anything that’s been suggested, but I feel like that was his way of informing me I was buying a woman’s gun.

I also have an LC9. I added a grip sleeve to it, as the grips felt too narrow for my hand. It’s also a cheap enough handgun to sink to the bottom of any body of water.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I also have an LC9. I added a grip sleeve to it, as the grips felt too narrow for my hand. It’s also a cheap enough handgun to sink to the bottom of any body of water.
I had one too. I gave it to my mom.
It was super nice to conceal, but the long trigger pull made me hate to shoot it. That and the grip was very small.

J-mobzz

I also have an LC9. I added a grip sleeve to it, as the grips felt too narrow for my hand.
I really like the gun and I like the way it shoots, but it’s also the only real compact I’ve ever had experience owning. The next smallest pistol I have is an Sig P228.

For me, the Ruger was just a good fit with Price and size to leave inside the vehicle.