Let's talk insurance

Medsker

2024 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 392
I am not happy with my current insurance company. When my Jeep burned up they really low balled me. I'm wondering if there are any insurance companies out there that cover mods you've made. I'm willing to pay extra. Also ones that cover you off-road.

I'm just wondering who everyone uses.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Good question. I'm under the general impression that all insurance agencies are for profit, not for protecting what I want insured. Because of that, I assume they all want to pay out the least in a claim, provide the most fine print as possible and find ways out of providing a service they seem to be advertising. With that said, USAA has generally done OK with me and my family over the past 20-some years and a couple of minor accidents.

I think most insurance companies would be willing to adjust for mods if they are given receipts and maybe a chance to look at them or have a second party provide an indepent valuation estimate

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I was with Farmers and they allowed me to "over" insure my land cruiser. I think I had $10k in extra coverage to help cover all the money I had in it. It got too expensive to stay with them for all my other stuff so I switched to State Farm and resigned myself that if my cruiser dies an unfortunate death I will do what I can to replace it with what I get.

When I had a vehicle totalled a few years ago, I did my own comparisons that I sent to the insurance when I felt they were trying to screw me. We met closer to my valuation in the end. I used Craigslist and KSL to come up with the year and mileage, but it was a stock explorer so no modifications to account for.

Dealing with insurance companies sucks! You have my empathy.