Lexus GX 470 Built for Fun

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
This will be my build thread for my 2003 Lexus GX 470.

I bought it in February 2016 with 96k miles. Since buying it, I had Lexus replace the leaking sunroof. I also had the timing belt, water pump, and idler pulley's replaced.

The immediate plans for this rig are:
Old Man Emu springs and shocks
Light Racing front upper control arms
Light Racing HD rear lower control arms
Sliders
New wheels, thinking 17x9
New tires, thinking 33's (or there abouts)
Find a place to mount my ARB dual compressor
Figure out where to mount my rotopax without the rear bumper

Eventually, I will be adding:
Front Bumper with winch
Rear Bumper with swing out tire carrier
Roof rack
Exterior Lighting

My wish list includes:
Finding a way to replace the Nav system
More power outlets inside the cab
Hot water system
Lockers front & rear
Maybe an awning

The hardest trail I envision taking this rig on would be the East side of Hole in the Rock, but who knows, that may turn out to be too ambitious.

Anyway, here are some pics.

The day I brought it home:
IMG_1299[1].JPG
IMG_1297[1].JPG

The first thing I did was pull the running boards off.
IMG_1312[1].JPG
IMG_1314[1].JPG

Then I changed the spark plugs, wind shield wipers, and buffed the headlights (thanks UNSTUCK).

I ordered the lift today, so that will go on in the coming weeks, then it will be sliders, wheels & tires, and ARB compressor.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I'm excited to see this thing built up. These rigs are so overlooked and I've never understood why.

Thanks! I am excited to build it and use it!

I think they get overlooked because of the L in the grill.:D I had to talk to Ferg and Kurt to put them on my radar. I may debadge it so you won't know what it is by reading the badges... Haven't decided yet. I still feel funny talking to others about my plans to build and wheel a Lexus...:eek:

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Looks like a fun build, man. Shoulda kept the running boards and reinforced them. Sleeper sliders. Haha.

Thanks! The running boards hang down WAY too low, so they would have been in the way more than I would like.

As an update, I picked up all my goodies from Cruiser Outfitters yesterday, so I will be tinkering on it this week when I have time. I have a project for UNSTUCK in front of this, but hope to wrap up anything urgent on that tonight so I can dig into the GX by Saturday. I will be picking up some more PB blaster and soaking everything really well between now and then so it comes apart easier.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Sitting at Les Schwab getting new shoes right now. I haven't been this excited about new tires in years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
b9ada1e3abf058bba83d758720a06d34.jpg

New shoes and ready to go dancing in the dirt and rocks!

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
What size tires? Did you add spacers as well or is that just rim offset thats pushing the tires out? Looks great.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
They are 285/70r17. No spacers. I wheels have -12 offset vs +25 stock. It move the wheel out about 1.5 inches.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Update. Last week as I was preparing to take a trip, I backed the Lexus out of my garage and the dash lit up like a Christmas Tree, and there was an ear piercing alarm.

I took it to a shop up the street, and they called later Monday with horrible news...I needed a new hydraulic brake booster (master cylinder). Before the shop told me the cost, I thought "ok, that's not too bad, a couple hundred bucks maybe..." and then they told me $3400 to replace it. My heart sank and I told them I would get back to them Tuesday. I can't believe my luck with vehicles...

I did some research Monday night, then called Lexus on Tuesday. It is not a common failure, and Lexus wanted to see the rig to get the exact code. Wednesday I had it towed down to LHM Lexus in Murray. They called and told me it was indeed the whole unit that needed to replaced. I had them replace it, and asked them to tell me everything else that is wrong with it. More bad news, the rack and pinion is on its way out too...yay. That will have to wait until later this year, or next year. I hope it holds on that long. It is leaking slightly from both sides.

Anyway, I picked it up Friday morning, and headed for Cedar City for 1 night instead of the 3 I had planned.

As a side note, the Saturday before his thing went to Hell, I worked on installing my ARB dual compressor. I took the bracket I had built for my JKU and modified it for the GX.

a279a1d30eac5e4c65bcbef6e575a478.jpg

a0205b443d12ffe0831b16ee16d7c60a.jpg

I don't love the location, but I wanted it for my trip and this was the easiest location to mount it quickly. I will be moving it to the passenger side later when I have more time to fab a new bracket.

Since the itinerary had changed, I never finished wiring the compressor before my trip.

Fast forward to tonight and I finally tied in the wiring, and the compressor is alive again!

49fe498e7c7f2ae7b1802951205adc48.jpg

Next up, massaging the front fender wells to alleviate some tire rubbing, and wheeling this pos to see if I can learn to like it again.

Last edited:

Tonkaman

Holy smokes that's a lot of cash!! I'm really sorry, that sucks big time.

On the plus side the dual air compressor seemed to be an easy install for you. Looks good.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
That is unfortunate, sorry to hear about it. I got lucky a month ago and managed to fix a potential $2500 problem with only $250 on my LX470. It seems that when they break they like to break on the expensive stuff.

Have you considered doing the rack and pinion yourself? Wasatch Cruiser guys talk highly of State Radiator and Divinity Auto. State Radiator has done engine rebuilds and timing belts for several of the club guys and are cruiser enthusiasts. Divinity is a Toyota/Lexus only independent shop. It might be worth a call to either of them to check what the cost would be as opposed to the dealer, I know State charged a guy $700 for a timing belt a month ago which is a pretty good price.

One other thing is that a lift and bigger lift and tires will give the rack more stress which will cause it to fail sooner. I couldn't tell if you already did the lift or not but if your rack wasn't leaking before, that might have helped it show its condition. I remember looking at Kurts death star (100) build thread and he replaced his rack a few different times. I think that is where I read about the extra stress and whatnot.

Last edited:

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
The compressor install wasn't too bad, it just took a while to figure out where to put it, and how to put it there.

I do plan on doing the rack myself, but plans can change.... I did install the lift, but I'm fairly certain the rack was leaking prior to that as I had only put about 200-300 miles on it after the lift when I took it into the shop.

Troop92

At this point would you consider using something like Lucas Power Steering stop leak? I know any additive is highly controversial, but if it's already on its way out...