Liberty CRD's

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Tried to bring an old thread back to life but it appears it wasn't garnering enough attention

School me on Liberty CRD's, seems like a handful of owners have traded in due to the difference in gas and diesel prices. May not be the reason but I haven't seen this many CRD's for sale and it might be worth jumping one while they are available. I'm intrigued by the CRD looking for something small, diesel rules and would like a true tcase, I worry that Chrysler built these though especially in this era

What should you look for?

Typical problems?

What are the difference in trim levels?

Worth getting the full time 4wd system?

Best years, although from what I gather they only made the CRD for two years.

The diesel worth getting over a gasser?

Samersen

A few months ago I spent a lot of time researching the CRD's and I really wanted to get one. There were three reasons I ended up not getting. 1-saftey is not very good especially compared to other small SUV's (CRV, RAV) 2-MPG didn't seem to justify the cost of diesel, check www.fuely.com its real world people tracking gas. 3-cost of diesel and to maintain vs gas. I ended up getting a 2004 CRV for my wife with "4wd" (without a transfer case) and we seem to get 26-28 mixed driving probably 70/30 in favor of the highway.

A good resource was http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=5

Though at the end of the day I still day dream about a CRD when ever I see them.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I have been trolling around lostjeeps reading some stuff, seem to be a fair amount of issues that can arise

R

rockdog

Little brother has two of em. He has put tunes on his. The little thing hauls! His wife's is stock. They love em.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
IIRC, the CRD was only available with the full-time transfer case--it was bundled with the engine, just like the 5-speed automatic transmission.

Have to disagree with you there Dempsey, I've seen the full-time/part-time lever in one

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Have to disagree with you there Dempsey, I've seen the full-time/part-time lever in one

Umm, Josh? That lever is the full-time 4WD system.

Yep, it came with either the full time or part time 4x4 systems.

I stand by my earlier statement, at least in part. For the 2006 model year, the CRD engine was linked exclusively to the 5-spd automatic, and the Selec-Trac 4WD system--while optional on most other Liberty models--was automatically bundled with it as well. I double checked this with my 2006 Liberty literature that I have here in my desk.

I don't have info for the 2005 model year, though. Maybe it was optional then? If anybody sees a CRD with the part-time system, tell me about it. I'd love to run its VIN and see what's up.

CobraNutt

If you're on ExpeditionUtah, get in touch with Roktaxi (Marty)...he has an '05 CRD that he runs around in. He could probably help with info. :),

Sent from my mystical handheld gizmo.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
So essentially both are correct with the Selec-Trac. "It has a shift-on-the-fly transfer-case like Command-Trac but unlike it, Selec-Trac offers full-time all wheel drive in addition to the part-time 4WD of Command-Trac"

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
I had a CRD for 6 years. It's the only KJ worth owning. I sold it while it was still running perfectly as parts were getting harder to find. I sold it on ExPo to a guy in MS. Since there were only 10k registered in the U.S. and Jeep in the hands of the Italians, I thought it prudent to part ways.

Whatever problems it had were fixed by Toyota ownership. It did win "Best Expedition Vehicle" trophy at the 2009 TeraFlex All Jeep show, my Toyota could never do that.

Utah Bureau of Awesomeness Department.