linking the truggy, finally!

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
How are you liking the rear setup so far, UPDATE..... W/pics..

I didnt realize that I did not leave an update.
I have really loved the rear links, the suspension has been awesome!
as with anything, there are a few minor tweaks that I would like to do.
(I am also in the process of gathering parts for the front links & suspension)

tweeks in the rear- I feel like it could use a little stiffer shock in the rear.
I also want to adjust the links a little.
originally I wanted to run the lower links on top of the axle, this will move the lowers up 2.5" on the axle & I will also drop the lower front mount 1"
this will move my instant center (the imagineary point that the 2 links intersect) forward quite a bit, this will help on tall climbs. (better antisquat)

heres a vid clip of my last moab trip in Mar. it shows the strengths & weaknesses of the suspension

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2nk2-xv7CE

mierdota

last night I finished building my lower axle mounts & picked up my links.
when I was threading my joints into my links, I realized that I had 3 right hand thread & 1 left, lame!!
I got all my brackets & Link mounts tacked on & my links hung. oooh yeah!! Its starting to take shape.
Its ready for me to cycle the suspension so that I can see If I screwed it up or not, jk.
heres a couple more pics

You meant you had 3 right hand a 1 left hand joints right? I didnt screw up when i threaded them did i? it looks good i just bought a little toyota pick up today and i am excited to build it :)

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
You meant you had 3 right hand a 1 left hand joints right? I didnt screw up when i threaded them did i? it looks good i just bought a little toyota pick up today and i am excited to build it :)

no, your link material was perfect, thanks again!
I meant the joints that ballistic sent me.

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
Time for an update.
In march when I was in moab last, I ruined my TG springs (they were only 1yr old)
& I sheered off the perch studs on the pass. side.
I got tired of fixing those stupid studs, & I did not want to buy another set of springs.
SO I started collecting parts a couple months ago, so that I could link the front & install some coil overs, (Ive wanted to do this for a long time!)
I also decided that I wanted to go with a full hydro set up, so that I would have a few more options & room & killer steering!

I have put quite a bit of work into it already, but I still have alot to do!
heres a few pics to see where Im at.

Attachments

• P1030309.JPG
    P1030309.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 30
  • P1030305.JPG
    P1030305.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 33
  • P1030304.JPG
    P1030304.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 32
  • P1030318.JPG
    P1030318.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 35
  • P1030321.JPG
    P1030321.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 38
  • P1030322.JPG
    P1030322.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 36
  • P1030324.JPG
    P1030324.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
last week I built all my link brackets & got them tacked into place.
I also have my steering ram bracket built & tacked on.
yesterday I put the ram on & cycled everything, I had to move the ram down a little, because my panhard was hitting it. after adjusting both af them everything looked like it was working great! tonight I spent most of the night fabbing some shock hoops & making room under the hood for the new KINGS. heres a pic with the KINGS mounted up

Attachments

• P1030331.JPG
    P1030331.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 32

mierdota

man this thing is so sexy im glad those arms worked out for you I cant wait to link mine, soon enough :)

CSR

I have a tech question related to what you're doing. I've heard that the front Dana 60 center section is cast iron and can't be welded to very well, but I've seen a lot of people do it. Anyone know the scoop on this?

jevyguy

Cast Iron is weldable. Some just Mig it and are fine, but I wouldn't. Before cast can be welded (with a TIG, Stick, or a very rare Mig) it needs to be heated up.

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
I have a tech question related to what you're doing. I've heard that the front Dana 60 center section is cast iron and can't be welded to very well, but I've seen a lot of people do it. Anyone know the scoop on this?

I used to wonder the same thing.
last year I destroyed my rear 60 housing, (twisted the tube & shattered the casting) If I would have had a good truss on there, tying the axle tubes & casting together it wouldnt have been a problem.
I soon realized that most people weld to the casting. I did read that you should heat it up first (500* I think) most people dont preheat it either.
I talked to 3 or 4 very reputable shops that mig weld there axles, so thats what I did on my own, front & rear.
The places on mine, where I welded to the castings were just to tie everything together.

ricsrx

How did you figure out the length and spring rate of your shocks?
looking very good, thanks for the shocks they are working great on the 82!!

mierdota

cast steel and cast iron are 2 different stories, you can weld cast steel just fine. I only pre heat the cast steal when it is cold out side i have welded on a few now and never had a problem. Axle center sections and knuckles are cast steel. Cast iron can also be welded but it is a pita to do.