linking the truggy, finally!

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
Ive wanted to link up my truck for years now, Im tired of the the axle wrap & hopping! This is my first link experiment, so any input is welcome. I also want to try some coils, (trying to keep bed space available for camping gear) I have not ever used coils either, so this might get interesting :eek:

I got started sat, by hacking anything & everything out of the way.
I have a few of my parts, Im still waiting for a bunch of stuff from ballistic.
I went with ballistic joints for the bottom links & TG joints for the uppers.
Im still debating how burly to go on the bottom links either 2" 7/16 wall or
2 & 1/2" 1/2 wall dom ?? My wheel base is 122" & my lower links are 55"ish
so I know that they are going to take a beating.

Attachments

• P1020818.JPG
    P1020818.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 61
  • P1020819.JPG
    P1020819.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 43
  • P1020234.jpg
    P1020234.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
this week the progress has seemed slow. I plated the inner frame rails from the t-case to the bend in the frame. I built a crossmember for the lower links. last night I got the link mnts tacked to the x-member & threw a mock link in

Attachments

• P1020821.JPG
    P1020821.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 60
  • P1020829.JPG
    P1020829.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 67
  • P1020830.JPG
    P1020830.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 68

Bart

Good luck and keep the pics coming. Question for you, why the axle upper link mounts to the side of the truss instead of on top? Just wondering out loud.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Good luck and keep the pics coming. Question for you, why the axle upper link mounts to the side of the truss instead of on top? Just wondering out loud.

I think that is and old mount for his antiwrap bar when he had leaf springs.
Looking good.

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak

Yeah, lewis is right. I had my anti wrap torque arm mounted there. I still need to hack a couple more things off.
the upper link mnts will be on top centered on the truss. I took some measurements, it looks like Ill need to go about another 8" taller on the axle truss mnts, to get the upper links flat

Last edited:

LT.

I am in the same boat as you are. I just started working on my own as well. One of the things that I just picked up on was keeping the lower links about the same size as your tires. Also, I just learned that the tube diameter makes up for more strength than wall thickness. I hope that makes sense. Keep the updates coming.

LT.

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
looks good man... I wonder how much alumminum links would cost if you did the lowers out of alumminum?

I already looked into it, it was pretty pricey!!! Aluminum would be sweet though.
those big links are going to be heavy. I decided to mount the lower links on top of the axle, instead of in front. it really makes a big difference on my geometry. I can go a little shorter on my lower links & get them up out of harms way. 55" is pretty long but I could have gone 60" :eek:
theres so many different ways to set these things up, & everything has its trade off.

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
I am in the same boat as you are. I just started working on my own as well. One of the things that I just picked up on was keeping the lower links about the same size as your tires. Also, I just learned that the tube diameter makes up for more strength than wall thickness. I hope that makes sense. Keep the updates coming.

LT.

yeah the diameter adds alot of strength, just like a drive line. but also like a drive line if you dent it it will bend.

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
I was a little lazy last night, so I didnt get much done.
I fabbed my lower link axle mounts & hung some mock links up.
heres a couple more pics

Attachments

• P1020831.JPG
    P1020831.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 68
  • P1020832.JPG
    P1020832.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 54
  • P1020835.JPG
    P1020835.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 74

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
Goose, I have a couple of adjustable mock up links with heims if you need some more.

I might have to take you up on that. I ordered most of my stuff from ballistic & its going on 2 weeks now :confused: called them yesterday, I hope I see some parts on mon. If they dont come Ill get ahold of you.
THANKS!!

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Sorry to hear. At least you have a reason you haven't been working on it. All I have is lazy. Hope you get feeling better.

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
Sorry to hear. At least you have a reason you haven't been working on it. All I have is lazy. Hope you get feeling better.

That flu is crazy! My daughter came home sick on sat. By sat. night My wife was sick, & by sun. afternoon I was sick.
My son was the only one who didnt get it, the rest of us were flat in bed for 4 days. I think the worst ting about it is having everyone sick at the same time.
:(:(:(
Im finally feeling decent today :)

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
well I have been itching to get back out in the garage.
I got most of the rest of my parts, & I fabbed up most of my truss & mounts. I couldnt find a link mount that I liked, (for the truss) or would work for what I wanted to do so I built my own. I tacked the upper link bungs in & threw them in the truss mount.
Heres a couple pics.

Attachments

• P1020838.JPG
    P1020838.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 31
  • P1020843.JPG
    P1020843.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 31
  • P1020849.JPG
    P1020849.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 33
  • P1020851.JPG
    P1020851.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 36
  • P1020853.JPG
    P1020853.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 35
  • P1020854.JPG
    P1020854.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 47

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Glad to hear your family and yourself are feeling better. Looks like it coming along.

Last edited: