Local gunsmith??

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
So as stated in my other thread, our family cabin burned down a couple weeks ago in the Tokewanna forest fire

Last weekend while cleaning i found my Grandpa's Ruger .22 pistol. Burned of course.

This was his only gun and home security. I remember shooting it a bunch as a kid and loving it. Half forgot he even had it

I would like to get it restored for him.

To me it looks like it should be repairable but i would like to have a good gunsmith look at it and give a quote.

Any ideas? Who do you use?

Thanks guys

image.jpg

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I just got notified of a new guy in Bountiful opening next week. Let me see what the name of his shop was. It was going in at 450 S 500 W (haven't figured out the vacant building)

pELYgroso

'Merica
I would wonder about cost vs. outcome. It looks pretty far gone to me. It might be cool to look around for a used working model with the same-ish patina that your grandpa's had. Put them both in a wall mount display case, the burnt one as a memory and the working model to show what the burnt one used to look like. Then go get him a 9mm glock or something for protection. You might end up spending the same but would maybe get more out of the $$? Just a thought.....

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
For sure. Im glad to pay more than the gun is worth but there has to be a line drawn somewhere. Id just like to get a quote and go from there

DAA

Supporting Member
Hope I'm wrong, but I suspect the 'smith will tell you it's not repairable. If the barrel and rec'vr got hot enough to change the hardness, and they probably did, I'm just guessing that it can never be safely fired again. And as the serial numbered part, the receiver isn't really replaceable. Well, I mean, it is, but at that point you literally have a different gun, not a the restored original, and it wouldn't make any sense to do.

- DAA

NYCEGUY01

Take it over to Lee.

4175 South 4300 West

Lee's gun shop.

Its a .22 so if you really want to shoot it again Im sure it would be fine. I wouldn't shoot a burned 300 mag but a Ruger 22.. Sure....

Every single part on the gun is available. I bet a quick blast , clean, and refinish would do the trick.

Lee has done lots of work for me over the years and will do you right...