Looking for a shop to do medium-duty 4x4 conversion (c4500 Kodiak 2009)

H-K

INFIDEL
Supporting Member
I'm searching high and low for a company that does medium-duty 4x4 conversions in Utah or surrounding areas. I'm striking out so far. Hoping someone here can point me to a company that does this type of conversion/outfitting for med-duty or alternatively a custom fab shop that can do it.

Background/info:
I'm in the process of buying a 2009 GM C4500 Kodiak ambulance that I am converting to an RV. I was in the market for a 2000-2003 E450 Chassis (with the good old 7.3 powerstroke) because those are commonly converted to 4x4, but I was offered a deal I couldn't pass up. I'm explaining all of this to hopefully bypass questions like "why don't you just find one that already has 4x4 and save a ton of cash" etc. This ambo is coming from a friend who is the operations manager at the Ambulance Service and he takes meticulous care of the ambos there. It includes every maintenance record/receipt, manuals, schematics, etc. 5,000 miles ago they had a new (New from GM, not rebuilt) engine put in it that cost them $25,000. They are getting ready to retire it and I expect to pay only about $10K for it. I couldn't pass it up at even double that price. I thought about getting one that already has 4x4, but then I'm stuck with a hi-mile engine with unknown history and they are going for $48k to $75K. There's one here in Utah right now selling for $75k with >150K miles on it. This is why I want to convert this 2wd.

Any help/referrals is appreciated. thanks!

image2.png

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
These are available from.the factory in 4wd, so parts exist. The front axle was a 70, and it is wicked wide. I'll get some.pics tomorrow, the mechanic at work here has one.

And I would definitely recommend Agility, this is something they can definitely handle.. @skippy

Vonski

nothing to see here...
I may not know every aspect of what you’ll need to address, but I do know quite a bit about the parts and have a physical representation of what the end goal should look like. Front axle is a pretty common “Super 60” with tierod behind the axle and tcase is divorced. Get familiar with Meritor t-cases as well.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Front axle is a pretty common “Super 60” with tierod behind the axle and tcase is divorced. Get familiar with Meritor t-cases as well.

That's correct for post.... 08? 09? trucks. Earlier versions had 70s and a NV271? t-case. Big bugger. Later models are the Super 60 and Meritor stuff. All heavy duty and up to the task. I"ll keep an eye out at our auctions... occasionally the early ones come through in 4wd. Might be a really good donor for a decent price.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
That's correct for post.... 08? 09? trucks. Earlier versions had 70s and a NV271? t-case. Big bugger. Later models are the Super 60 and Meritor stuff. All heavy duty and up to the task. I"ll keep an eye out at our auctions... occasionally the early ones come through in 4wd. Might be a really good donor for a decent price.
Yes, but many guys doing conversions are opting for the Super 60. Meritor or 271 could be used, depending on which you find first or for the better deal.

Reactions: H-K

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Yes, but many guys doing conversions are opting for the Super 60. Meritor or 271 could be used, depending on which you find first or for the better deal.

For sure, the Super 60 is current, and available. Just wanted to clarify in case an older option comes up, that it's a viable option as well. Plus I keep forgetting that it's 2022. 😳😁

Vonski

nothing to see here...
For sure, the Super 60 is current, and available. Just wanted to clarify in case an older option comes up, that it's a viable option as well. Plus I keep forgetting that it's 2022. 😳😁
I hear ya… I was replying while in line getting food, so I didn’t exactly cover all the bases. 😂 The cool thing is that if a competent fab shop does the work, he really has multiple options for both axle and tcase. Also @H-K, since you’re scoring a killer deal on the purchase price, consider a savvy shop like Agility link and bag the front at the same time. It really would improve the notoriously harsh ride. With the additional weight of the box and RV additions, the current leaf packs should work well, but some work will be in order to match the height of the front.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Have you tried Advanced 4wd? They do a lot of conversions...just not sure if they do mdt's

If this is still run by the same good old boy, he is a pretty serious crook.

PM me if you want details.

Not sure if they would touch it but I would consider these guys first: (in no particular order)
Ryan at Agility
John at Impulse
Curtis at Just 4 Fun

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'm searching high and low for a company that does medium-duty 4x4 conversions in Utah or surrounding areas. I'm striking out so far. Hoping someone here can point me to a company that does this type of conversion/outfitting for med-duty or alternatively a custom fab shop that can do it.

Background/info:
I'm in the process of buying a 2009 GM C4500 Kodiak ambulance that I am converting to an RV. I was in the market for a 2000-2003 E450 Chassis (with the good old 7.3 powerstroke) because those are commonly converted to 4x4, but I was offered a deal I couldn't pass up. I'm explaining all of this to hopefully bypass questions like "why don't you just find one that already has 4x4 and save a ton of cash" etc. This ambo is coming from a friend who is the operations manager at the Ambulance Service and he takes meticulous care of the ambos there. It includes every maintenance record/receipt, manuals, schematics, etc. 5,000 miles ago they had a new (New from GM, not rebuilt) engine put in it that cost them $25,000. They are getting ready to retire it and I expect to pay only about $10K for it. I couldn't pass it up at even double that price. I thought about getting one that already has 4x4, but then I'm stuck with a hi-mile engine with unknown history and they are going for $48k to $75K. There's one here in Utah right now selling for $75k with >150K miles on it. This is why I want to convert this 2wd.

Any help/referrals is appreciated. thanks!

View attachment 145500
That thing is gonna need a cool name, something like "Alabama Lance" would be good.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
This is definately something we can and would do, we are just about 8 months out before we could start on a build like this.

H-K

INFIDEL
Supporting Member
Wow, thanks for all the great replies and info. Work has me swamped and I just popped in real quick to check back on the thread to find tons of help. Really appreciated.

Some quick answers/replies before I run back to work:
- It's a Duramax (with DPF, but luckily it at least doesn't have DEF too)
- I have spoken with Advanced 4wd here in utah and he doesn't do medium duty. Also spoke to u-joint offroad who does tons of 4x4 van conversions and offers full kits for DIY, but he also doesn't do mediums. I emailed AJ's 4x4 Vans in Portland area and he said he could do it, but it would be his first time and so he's not sure what it would entail.
- I would also want it lifted about 6", so that would mean a leafpack change in the rear that could work out with the front work.

@Vonski have you done projects with Kodiaks/Topkicks like this? Sounds like you know all about em.

@skippy What's the name of your shop?

Thanks all!