Lowrance or Garmin for Vehicle GPS

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I've tried using apps and a tablet or phone. But they just never seem to work as good as a real GPS unit.

I've had a Garmin GPSMap76, the only let down with it was screen size.

I'd like something that is more rugged and usable then a table. Something I can download Topo maps to.

What are you opinions?

Thanks

DAA

Supporting Member
I'd look closely at the available cartography. It's been some years since I really looked so I'm sure things have changed. But last time I bought, while I liked the Lowrance Baja series GPS units, the maps available for them sucked ass. The Garmin maps were way better. By better, I mean the two tracks and dirt roads I use are almost all shown on the Garmin maps but almost none of them were on the Lowrance maps.

But, like I said, that was some years ago and this stuff changes. But it's definitely worth checking out.

- DAA

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
I'd look closely at the available cartography. It's been some years since I really looked so I'm sure things have changed. But last time I bought, while I liked the Lowrance Baja series GPS units, the maps available for them sucked ass. The Garmin maps were way better. By better, I mean the two tracks and dirt roads I use are almost all shown on the Garmin maps but almost none of them were on the Lowrance maps.

But, like I said, that was some years ago and this stuff changes. But it's definitely worth checking out.

- DAA

Exactly this. I seriously looked at the Lowrance stuff, but it just lacked in the quality of maps for it. I still use my Garmin etrex vista with maps from miscjunk.org