Making a monster part II

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Figured I'd share my winter project. The story my brother was told is its a running 1987 Honda CR500R with a new aftermarket pipe and a new piston for cheap so he decided to drive down and get it. Well it turns out it wasn't "quite" as nice as he was led to believe but he took it anyway. Shortly after he literally dumped it off in my yard saying "Here you go I figured you could use another project!"... Ugh... I took one look at it and couldn't help but laugh hysterically :rofl: WHAT A POS! Everything--and I do mean EVERYTHING was either wrong, broken, abused, missing and trashed. Of course it did have a brand new pipe (as if that was a priority) and a brand new piston in it along with a million Metal Militia, Summit Racing and K&T performance stickers covering every inch of the plastics. A if that isn't enough it's a 1988 NOT the legendary 1987 :-\

Unfortunately I don't have any before pics so try your best to visualize this: Right off I noticed the silencer was welded to the new FMF pipe with what looked like 7018 ARC rod. Then I saw that the pipe was held on by a big ol' 3/8" bolt drilled completely through the frame rail and double nutted on the back side which in turn was rubbing on the shock spring. Apparently the 6m busted off in the frame so that was the solution and that's when I wiggled the exhaust and realized the exhaust flange that should bolt to the cylinder was very loose and held on with one wood screw and all three of the 6m bolts that should have held it in place were busted off inside the jug--yah :rolleyes: It gets better. Airbox is completely missing and in its place is a piece of exhaust pipe hose clamped to the carb holding a tiny K&N filter with no oil on the element. There was no way I was even going to try starting this bike in this state of disrepair.

At this point I pull it completely down to the frame and start from there. Suspension linkage is non existent and what is there is seized up. Forks have no oil and the chrome is completely gone in spots. Radiators are full of hard water and passages are blocked, impeller is so full of corrosion I doubt it moved much if any water... When I pulled off the jug to machine it I noticed the brand new Wiseco piston had not been drilled on the bridge (big no-no) and it was about .015 too small :)eek2:) for the bore and the bore was trashed. Thankfully the porting hasn't been touched or I'd be looking for a new jug.

Repair list at this point:

-Wheel bearings shot.
-Replace piston/rings/hone
-Weld hole in frame
-Replace fork tubes (chrome is long gone)
-Replace rear brake rotor
-Replace inner hub of clutch assembly
-Replace kickstart lever (another 3/8 bolt--well I'll post pics no words can describe this one)
-Find entire airbox assembly
-Replace tires front and rear (yah a brand new $200 pipe but tires are so bald the chords are showing!)
-Machine and time sert exhaust flange bolt holes (3)
-Replace ALL linkage bearings
-Rebuild throttle assembly (missing bushings caused cable to destroy itself)
-Replace front master cylinder (sight glass broken)

After cleaning off all the gay stickers and polishing the tank and shrouds this is where I'm at right now. The only thing keeping me going is how sexy I think the blood red 88-89 CR's were :cool:

DSC02760.jpg

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Again this will be a winter project so I plan to take some time on it. By spring I hope to A. Take the biggest pile of crap bike I've ever laid hands on and make it reliable and capable. B. Have a big bore 2T bike built for single track and technical riding. I'd like to have set it up with a heavy flywheel weight, trials tire, low gearing, lots of armor etc.. and possibly a very exotic set of blue tube Paioli forks I've been kicking around the garage. Stay tuned.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
I'm impressed with your can-do attitude. What a project!

Thanks Steve. Its something I enjoy almost as much as riding them :D All my friends spend their winters snowmobiling. I don't want to get caught up in another expensive (understatement for snowmobiling :rofl:) hobby I usually spend my winter with projects like this one lol.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I know where I am dropping my bike off(if I ever get one). If you can fix that you can fix anything! Looking forward to updates.

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
I hope you are planning to use it for SHORT single track trails. Those 500's have got to be some of the thirstiest bikes ever made! Have plans for a 5 gallon can strapped somewhere?

I too admire your positive attitude about the bike and other bikes you've shared your restorations with us. I simply don't have that kind of patience or determination on projects.

Subscribed!
Jared

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
I know where I am dropping my bike off(if I ever get one). If you can fix that you can fix anything! Looking forward to updates.

I'd be happy to help :D Now hurry up and get one lol.

I hope you are planning to use it for SHORT single track trails. Those 500's have got to be some of the thirstiest bikes ever made! Have plans for a 5 gallon can strapped somewhere?

I too admire your positive attitude about the bike and other bikes you've shared your restorations with us. I simply don't have that kind of patience or determination on projects.

Subscribed!
Jared

Thanks and ya the 500's hog the gas pretty bad :D I have two options in mind. Either desert tank or the 1.3gal Acerbis front mount tank that used to be on my RM. I have a 4 gallon tank on my CR500 and while I love the range it makes it hard to move around on the bike--its huge so I'm kind of turned off of them for the older bikes.