Making my trailer spring over

Tebbsjeep

Photo of bottle? Have you used it prior or is this the first run on the bottle? Could be wrong or bad gas?
This is actually your old machine Shane. I can't remember what settings you had told me works the best. My bottle is C25, and it's hit or miss if it runs well. If it's bad gas, how do I get an exchange on their dollar?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
This is actually your old machine Shane. I can't remember what settings you had told me works the best. My bottle is C25, and it's hit or miss if it runs well. If it's bad gas, how do I get an exchange on their dollar?
That Hobart 175 is a good rig, I've always had good luck with it. It welds most anything I need on '3' but when I need that extra burn in I crank it to '4'.

Something is definitely up with the gas or polarity. It could also be bad wire... but usually you will get random porosity instead of consistent.

Tebbsjeep

I had a buddy come over who is a more competent welder than I am, and he had the same issues. So I'm going to take my setup to his house tomorrow and try to find the cause. Use his tank on my welder and vice versa. Rule out the gas, regulator, or my power supply before condemning the machine..

I'll take the axle over there too just to get it done.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I had a buddy come over who is a more competent welder than I am, and he had the same issues. So I'm going to take my setup to his house tomorrow and try to find the cause. Use his tank on my welder and vice versa. Rule out the gas, regulator, or my power supply before condemning the machine..

Could be that the regulator is faulty.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
So I'm going to take my setup to his house tomorrow and try to find the cause. Use his tank on my welder and vice versa. Rule out the gas, regulator, or my power supply before condemning the machine..
That's a good call right there. I was gonna say the next step would be either different gas bottle or wire, but like Hickey said it could be the regulator too

STAG

On my grind
My mig used to be dead reliable. Ever since I got back from CT it will randomly do a porosity bead. (I got a new bottle of gas when I got back) but it goes it inconsistently and randomly.

It’s getting old and worn so I’m sure it’s an atmosphere intrusion somewhere in the system. I’ve done a gas leak test from the regulator to where the gas enters the welding lead at the front of the welder, and that tested good, but haven’t tested the lead and gun itself.

It would literally do a porosity bead right after laying a good bead. Even in an enclosed shop with closed doors. It prompted be to buy that TIG welder last summer to avoid the random porosity.

I still haven’t pinpointed what the variable is that makes it do it.

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.

Troubleshooting like this is about 25% of my job. Find a known good component, swap it with the bad one, see if the trouble follows the component.

Glad you found it.