Manual hubs on an ADD

2BACJ

SS
Say you have a 1990-1995 toyota truck, and it has the ADD(automatic differential disconnect) system. The front half shafts spin even in 2WD. When you shift into 4WD, a switch in your tcase changes a set of air valves, which cause the actuator in your differential to slide a sleeve that connects the driver side half shaft and your differential. My question is, if you want to put manual hubs on your yota, do you have to somehow bypass this ADD mechanism, so that the ADD is always engaged? Because, even if you lock up your hubs, if the ADD system isn't engaged, then you have no 4WD. How do you put manual hubs on an ADD equipped, which most 90 or newer yotas are, truck? This question has been boggling my brain for a while now. Later.

ErikS

I asked that question when I got my tacoma so I don't know if this will apply exactly to you or not. The dealer has hubs that will swap right in with a kit. I talked to a couple offroad shops and they thought warn made some. I think the other thing is you would have to swap out the carrier in the diff. And at the same time put in a locker, hey why not? I'm not a mechanic but know some so take it as that.

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
The only swap I've done was a ford, but I do know toys so...
AFAIK the t-case is the same and the IFS axle is the same. The way I thought it worked was th the hub was basically always locke in with no options inbetween. then you shift to 4wd and it's locked in. If you remove the hub and put on a standard hub of special size and or bolt pattern then you can unlock the hub and it is like the older style axles. Get out lock in the hubs then 4by. Thats been my understanding. I may pick a few other brains too. I may also have an old IFS hub around if you want to see if it just fits. Toyota is good in that most things are the same. IFS and solid axle have different spline counts on the shafts. but new and old IFS may be the same. Have you asked other BB's about it?